The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Horse collar (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/horse-collar-20164/)

Vidaloco 01-05-2009 12:40 PM

Horse collar

I just got this thing and love it. Anyone else ever try them? I use it to bring in my horse and to groom/tack her. I just leave it on and off we go, no longer needing to wear the rope halter under the headstall/bridle.
I started a thread some time ago about keeping the halter on or off. In the mean time I have been looking for an alternative. I won't go off on a trail ride without some way to emergency pony or tether my horse, but I have never liked the look of the halter-bridle combo. We take frequent breaks and removing the bridle then putting on a halter that I tote was such a pain.
What do you think?
Neck Collar Black

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Pets..._window_image$

Angel_Leaguer 01-05-2009 01:17 PM

looks like something that I used to keep on my show cattle. If it works for you then great!!! Do you take it off when she is in the pasture? I ask to help avoid any rubbing that may occur otherwise.

Vidaloco 01-05-2009 01:22 PM

Nope they are all naked out there :shock::lol:

Angel_Leaguer 01-05-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 222284)
Nope they are all naked out there :shock::lol:

lol :lol:

iridehorses 01-05-2009 02:47 PM

I have been looking at those for years but never broke down and bought one. I'd be interested in how it works for you Maureen. How well does your horse lead with one and will they stand tied? I've always wondered it they work if you need to take a lunch break on the trail.

I've seen halters for dogs and although they look funky I'm told they are more effective and humane then the traditional dog collar. That is the reason I never tried a collar for my horse.

PoptartShop 01-05-2009 02:55 PM

I've seen those before, they look pretty cool! :D I don't think I will get one though, as I have wayyyyy too many halters haha! :lol: If I did get one, I'd probably have more than one! :lol:

Vidaloco 01-07-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 222331)
I have been looking at those for years but never broke down and bought one. I'd be interested in how it works for you Maureen. How well does your horse lead with one and will they stand tied? I've always wondered it they work if you need to take a lunch break on the trail.

I've seen halters for dogs and although they look funky I'm told they are more effective and humane then the traditional dog collar. That is the reason I never tried a collar for my horse.

So far she is doing well. When I first put it on her and started to lead, she got this "huh?" look on her face then she was cool with it. I don't think they would be good for an emergency pony home is my only concern. Lately I have been leaving it on but keeping a rope halter tied to my saddle as well. I think for just a general lunch stop its great.

ElDorado 01-07-2009 06:31 PM

They work great for grooming or trail riding. I never buy them, I just make them by cutting up old nylon halters. Cut off the cheek peices and the noseband and what you have left you use as a collar.

NorthernMama 01-07-2009 08:49 PM

While I don't have an "official" one, I had made my own and used it regularly. I just had a "D" ring secured on a lead rope at the right location, snapped it around her neck and away I went. I used to tie my horses with that all the time. Then I had a mishap with a horse tied with a nylon halter and I got thinking... what if I had tied with my neck thing-y? I wonder what would have happened.

So, now while I still lead regularly with this, or just slip the lead rope through the snap instead and lead, I never tie anymore like that. I was thinking of making a leather one but was too lazy.

With my younger, pushier mare, I will lead with the rope around her neck then twisted and looped around her nose for more control. Just a lead rope. I do it all the time.

When on the trail, I rarely tie my horse. If so, it's for such a short period of time (like minutes) that I usually just loop the reins over/around something. (do my own business and come back LOL). But on a longer ride I will usually bring a lead or other rope with me, jic.

iridehorses 01-08-2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernmama (Post 224706)

With my younger, pushier mare, I will lead with the rope around her neck then twisted and looped around her nose for more control. Just a lead rope. I do it all the time.

Like a War Bridle. That is an old cowboy trick (the Indian version was different). I had to use my belt (looped around his neck like a collar) once to bring a horse in from the pasture. I got the horse back to the barn OK but my pants kept falling down.