The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   For Saddlebred owners out there :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/saddlebred-owners-out-there-202009/)

MyBrandy 05-28-2013 04:11 PM

For Saddlebred owners out there :)

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, I have just put a deposit on this almost 3 year old colt.. picking him up this upcoming weekend - very excited.. He needs lots of TLC and needs to gain weight, his feet are really need a LOT of attention, he has huge feet for ASB, but good base, his mane and tail are just one tangled mess, I hope I can save what is left of his mane...
He is wonderful mover - he was not showing off too much in the video, but got some nice trot going..

- again this colt is turning 3 next month - he's now about 16HH but he has a lot of growing to do. Here is his pedigree:

Irish_Velvets_2001

https://vimeo.com/67011868
and I am attaching couple of pictures that we were able to snap.. not the best conformation shots, will get some as soon as we have him home next weekend and will update this thread.

He seemed to be very happy to see us and came right to the gate (typical for ASB), he is not started under saddle, he barely leads, they haven't had him in a trailer since he was a weanling... So we will have some fun loading him this weekend.. I can't wait to see what some weight and training will bring out in this horse.. There is a saddlebred trainer few miles down the road from me - I am not particular to saddle-seat, I do prefer dressage.. But I want to show the colt in hand to get him accustomed to shows / people etc. - so would like to go to that trainer to get few basic lessons on parking the horse, showing in ASB halter classes...

Please let me know what you think of him. He is intact (Stallion) - you would not know it by his behavior, he is very sweet... He is little nippy, but nothing good handling / training can't fix. I will see how he matures over the next 2 years to see if he'd be kept stallion. As for the color fans - I am certain he is not homozygous for pinto as Dam was solid, he may be homozygous for black - we can test later - it's not really important now.

I appreciate all your comment - the good and the bad - constructive criticism is welcomed of course. Again I will post more pictures when I have him.

morganarab94 05-28-2013 04:14 PM

Wow he is gorgeous!

FeatheredFeet 05-28-2013 06:33 PM

Have you seen or do you have pictures, of his sire/dam/grandparents? I don't know them personally. I ask, because he has a soft back at this point. I understand he is young, but I'd still like to see a flat back on him. Soft backs are an indication of Lordosis, which is rampant in Saddlebreds.

I think he's a prettily marked lad. I don't like his overly muscled lower neck. He does appear to toe out, but it is difficult to tell from the pictures. His tail is lower set and the croup more sloping, than many like to see in the breed.

Have a look here to see Saddlebred conformation.

Conformation of the American Saddlebred Horse

I'd run this boy on quite some time, before considering him for breeding. At the moment, he wouldn't be my choice.

Lizzie

Honeysuga 05-28-2013 06:53 PM

He is a cutie, I love his color!

Could a vet or chiro check his back(im not familiar with lordosis, but his back worries me at this young age, it already looks a little swayed). Id check his parentage and lines for lordosis.

What are your plans for him?

Oh and the video wouldnt work for me :(.

MyBrandy 05-28-2013 07:51 PM

- try to see the video now - the video is working fine - it's just the way this website is handling the link :(

Or copy this and paste in your browser:
FirstLook.mp4 on Vimeo

==================

I think it's just the way he's standing in the pictures.. In person he really did not seem swayed.. See if you can see the video - it should give a better view.

- as far as plans with him, once he puts a little weight on and matures a little bit physically, will start him under saddle, with the way he moves, I'd get basic riding on him - and see what will be his niche :) He will pick his discipline - my job is to get him healthy and fit and get basic training done .. I may or may not keep him after that.. I shall see :) He really doesn't know much of anything at this point...

Honeysuga 05-28-2013 07:58 PM

video is private. hehe

MyBrandy 05-28-2013 08:07 PM

OK - try now - on Utube I did have settings "private" haha

MyBrandy 05-28-2013 08:10 PM

put it on higher resolution if your internet can handle it :)

FeatheredFeet 05-28-2013 08:18 PM

In your first post, I thought you were excited to get him as a possible forever horse. Now you seem as though you might not keep him after training?

Saddlebreds make terrific mounts and can put their hoof to many diciplines. Why have you maybe changed your mind? If his cost is reasonable - as it should be by what I see, then I'd train him and show him in some dicipline. Even if he has lordosis, it most usually does not preclude them from a good and often long, show career under saddle.

Were you hoping for just a stallion to put to stud? Saddlebreds - and even quite good ones, are ending up in rescue these days. Maybe it was his colour which attracted you? He is pretty, no doubt about it. Would probably make a lovely gelding for someone to have fun with.

Lizzie

MyBrandy 05-28-2013 08:39 PM

Thanks for your comment Lizzie - but where did I mention that he would be forever horse? Please re-read my 1st. post.. I did not mention anything regarding how long I would be keeping this horse.. I am pulling him out of situation where he is not being treated as he deserves.. I asked for constructive criticism on the horse's conformation ( stallion or not ) ONLY. Thank you.
If you revisit my 1st. post you will see I said quote: " I will see how he matures over the next 2 years to see if he'd be kept stallion."

- he currently is not in a shape or age to judge whether he should be kept intact or not - the previous owner did not geld him and that is the way he's coming to me :) Again - he may or may not be kept stallion couple years from now...Do I like color - yes - but I did not pick him for that. I like saddlebreds - I have another saddlebred gelding already in my barn :)