The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Breeding a trotter to a natural pacer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/breeding-trotter-natural-pacer-202241/)

Britt 05-28-2013 09:11 PM

Breeding a trotter to a natural pacer?

I went down to see the stud I'll be breeding my mare to next month and a few questions popped up that I thought I'd ask the forum-family. Well, one or two questions...

I had never noticed it, but the stallion is a natural pacer. I asked and his owner confirmed it, he paces naturally at liberty and under-saddle as well, though he also gaits (performs a flat-walk, a running walk, and a rack).

My mare, despite being the same breed as the stallion (Tennessee Walker) isn't gaited and trots instead. Her first foal, my seven year old gelding, also trots instead of gaiting (though his sire is a natural 'walker').

My questions are:

1. Since my mare trots and the sire naturally paces, what are the chances of the foal pacing?

2. What are the chances of the foal inheriting the racking gait? I've heard several times over that if a 'natural trotter' is bred to a 'natural pacer', then the resulting foal will rack or can be taught to rack easily...

TheNinja 05-28-2013 09:35 PM

Shouldn't have asked here. Wont get any answers worth anything. I posted on Bradley Dicks Chat Group for you, you'll get your answers there.

TheNinja 05-28-2013 11:49 PM

Seems it's basically a 50/50 chance. With the chances leaning slightly more towards being gaited.

Skyseternalangel 05-29-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNinja (Post 2643401)
Shouldn't have asked here. Wont get any answers worth anything. I posted on Bradley Dicks Chat Group for you, you'll get your answers there.

Woah there... first you aren't supposed to advertise/talk about other forums/groups.

Secondly, there are a lot of experienced people here.

Third, who are you to say where she asks her questions?

~~

OP whatever the answer I'd be intrigued to know.

Merlot 05-29-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNinja (Post 2643401)

WOW that's a pretty nasty thing to say. If you feel that way about this group, why are you here at all?

Britt 05-29-2013 11:06 AM

TheNinja, thank you for asking on the facebook group, I will be checking that out later as well, but I also highly value what the people on the forum have to say as well. :)

If anyone has any ideas, whether from personal experience or otherwise, I'd still love to hear yalls comments. ;)

TheNinja 05-29-2013 11:26 AM

That wasn't a blow at anyone. Don't get your panties in a wad. Lol. There aren't many "deep Walker" people here, the ones that delve into this subject. I've done searches and asked before.

Muppetgirl 05-29-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNinja (Post 2647689)
That wasn't a blow at anyone. Don't get your panties in a wad. Lol. There aren't many "deep Walker" people here, the ones that delve into this subject. I've done searches and asked before.

Wow - so you know all the members personally and can speak for all the walker people here?

MyLittlePonies 05-29-2013 12:08 PM

I'm not a walker person, but I have friends who did. I say you have about 50% chance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Honeysuga 05-29-2013 12:14 PM

There are quite a few walker people back in my hometown. I always heard them breeding back non gaited TWH mares to gaited stallions to get a gaited foal. I think you may be in luck if a pacer is what you want out of the breeding.