The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Huskitas..anybody have one? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/huskitas-anybody-have-one-202281/)

Cowgirls Boots 05-28-2013 09:39 PM

Huskitas..anybody have one?

So Friday I picked up my 3 month old Huskita (huskyxAkita) puppy and I am totally in love! I have been taking him with me everywhere and trying to socialize him as much as I can as I know Akitas can be nasty at times. So far he seems to get along we'll with other dogs and people but he is also still young. I do plan on taking puppy obedience classes with him as well.

Does anyone own one here? If so pictures!!! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 05-28-2013 11:19 PM

I have owned husky crosses and each time they've had to be put down. They were sneaky and couldn't be trusted. Smart tho. One was husky/shepherd, the other was husky/St B. The husky/St. B was a handsome dog with incredible stamina. Neither could be trusted around any kind of livestock. I've owned two purebred St. B's and they were incredible dogs but the cross -no way. I will never own another husky cross.

DancingArabian 05-28-2013 11:20 PM

We demand pictures! PICTURES I SAY!

Sharpie 05-28-2013 11:51 PM

I opened the thread hoping for adorable puppy pictures! PLEASE! :D

Good on you for getting the training started right away- both breeds can be independent and willful, so you may have your hands full at times, but I bet that mix will grow into a gorgeous adult dog.

Cowgirls Boots 05-29-2013 09:13 AM

Here are a few. I got him from the pet store. (I know, shame on me) I never buy from pet stores and almost all of my pets have been rescues but I couldn't resist. I had to have him. He's just too adorable. I don't see so much husky in him as I do Akita. Everyone asks me if he's a shepherd.
>:(

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...DFB787F5D9.jpg
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...DFBFDF3001.jpg
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...DFC8ACC47D.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

PastureSongs 05-29-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 2644673)
Neither could be trusted around any kind of livestock. I've owned two purebred St. B's and they were incredible dogs but the cross -no way. I will never own another husky cross.

This is because Huskies have an INCREDIBLY high prey drive. They are all this way and it cannot be trained out of them. You can teach them impulse control but you can't train out an instinct.

Huskies will hunt, catch and maul just about anything smaller than them. My husky is fine with my cats, rats and my small breed dog, but I would never allow her loose around someone else's cat or stock. They're not bad dogs, they're not dangerous, but they do have a prey drive, just like every other breed of dog in the world, it's just a lot higher than a lot of others.

OP, you're in for a long road of frustration. I don't know how much you know about huskies and akitas, but neither of them are an easy breed to own, at all.
Both are very high energy, driven, independent breeds with a strong preydrive. Find a trainer that uses positive techniques and get started on the obedience training. These dogs are not people pleasers. You need to make them think everything is their idea, because they have no issue ignoring every word that comes out of your mouth.
Next know that if they are not getting enough exercise, both physically and mentally, behavior problems will crop up. Quick. Digging, chewing, mouthing, stealing, etc. They need their brains worked with training and games, just as much as they will need exercise.
Also know that, while all puppies mouth and carry on, huskies are bad for it. Mine has never grown out of it. She's still a very loud, rough player.

You'll need to use positive techniques with this dog as you go through training. Huskies are soft dogs and rough handling (yelling, leash popping, anything like that) will cause them to shut down. An Akita simply won't put up with it. Your pup could go either way.

Goodluck.

~~~
Also, be careful where you take him to socialize. Until he is completely finished with all his vaccinations, he's at high risk to contract something. If someone has been where a sick dog has been, or an unvaccinated dog has been where your pup has been, he could catch something.
Try to set up socials with dogs you know are vaccinated, take him in places like Tractor supply or something, but don't let him walk on the floor.

SlideStop 05-29-2013 01:31 PM

I don't mind mind when people buy pets, but you PAID for a mutt! That's just beyond me. All theses cockerpoo, peagles, goldendoodles, rottipoo, pomkimo... They are nothing more then mutts. He is, with out a doubt, VERY VERY adorable!

Good luck with your new pup! Although I've never interacted much with either breed I hear both are pretty difficult breeds. I hire a professional to help train my rottie. He wasn't bad, but it was difficult to get the point across to him. The e-collar worked wonders for him. We walked off leash 95% of the time, not to mention the dozen or so tricks he knew. He was VERY SMART, but VERY STRONG WILLED.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cowgirls Boots 05-29-2013 02:06 PM

I know what I have ahead of me, PS. I have owned Akitas before so I understand what it could entail with him being a cross between the two breeds
Posted via Mobile Device

Cowgirls Boots 06-15-2013 12:02 PM

Just to update everyone, turbo is doing great!! He's 14 weeks right now and gained 10 pounds in the last two weeks! The vet thinks he's full akita. No husky. We will see! I will get recent pics of him. He's gonna be huge!
Posted via Mobile Device

Critter sitter 06-15-2013 01:21 PM

i was a show handler and helper for 21 husky's
your pup is cute..
I would talk to you about buying from a pet store but you already no you just made it easier for a Puppymill to stay in business.

I wont even enter a pet store that sells domestic animals.

we had one here that claimed to be adopting out rescues.. and all she was doing was selling her old breeding stock and rejects from her breeding program.. I don't know how people can be so cruel to animals.

Turbo is a Cutie