The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Opinions on glo chestnut (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/opinions-glo-chestnut-202377/)

Tayz 05-28-2013 10:41 PM

Opinions on glo chestnut

My OH bought me glo chestnut and glo white for my birthday for my show coming up and i was wondering what everyones opinions on them are? Smarty has two white socks and is chestnut. Would it donanything, will it make her go orange? Haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Tayz 05-29-2013 07:42 AM

Anything?
Posted via Mobile Device

NaeNae87 06-02-2013 06:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I find it adds a subtle glow to my ranga man... Just don't use the Glo-Chestnut on his white markings, it will stain them pink. And don't wear light coloured clothes when washing your ginger ninja... for the above reason :)

Here is Bo after being washed in it. He is a bit hairy in the pics, but you can see what his colour is like :)

Attachment 202681
Attachment 202689

blue eyed pony 06-02-2013 09:55 AM

I have a red one too :)

I've seen glo-black used on a brown... word to the wise, don't. -shudder- it is NOT pretty! Glo-bay is the better choice for browns, even seal ones that look almost entirely black.

Some people don't believe the colour enhancing shampoos do anything, but IME they do. Glo-white will enhance anything, a little bit, but greys especially [or white markings]. I have two horses with 3 white socks each, and my formula for socks is to SCRUB with normal non-colour-enhancing shampoo, rinse, wash with glo-white making sure I get it down to the skin, rinse again, and then put a special powder on that gets any last stains out and keeps the socks clean until show day when you brush it on. It smells gross though... a bit like diluted bleach. You don't use much and you're supposed to mix it in water before you put it on.

I like Amino-Gloss for your normal non-colour-enhancing one. I tend to do the same thing minus the powder for the whole body of my bay-brown. I don't think I've ever actually scrubbed my chestnut up as if I were going to a show - haven't shown her yet so all the show prep we've done is purely for practice but years ago I had a little white-grey Welshie with a few chestnut fleabites and he was just washed in glo-white for shows because he was pretty much white all over. It darkened and reddened his fleabites SO much.

I would try the glo-chestnut, making sure not to let it get on his socks until the rinsing stage [and then only because it'll only be on for a second!], for his whole body, for this show. Then try the glo-white all over at some later stage, and see which result you like best and if there's any difference :)