The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   Hunter for Sale Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/hunter-sale-critique-202561/)

kathryn 05-29-2013 12:38 PM

Hunter for Sale Critique

Hi! Can anyone give me opinions on this guy? Probably going to see him next week.

Risico - Hanoverian - Hunter Horse for Sale

Skyseternalangel 05-29-2013 06:57 PM

I am really not fond of that huge dip around his wither.

I can't really tell you much else. He's handsome but that asking price is...phew!

existentialpony 05-29-2013 09:03 PM

Handsome, but I find his movement and jumping bulky/cumbersome in the video. And he moves crookedly (nose to the outside)!

I don't think he's worth anywhere near 40grand. Yes he's a big hano and he's trained, but I don't think his movement warrants that price.

Zeke 05-30-2013 12:11 AM

I'm with existentialpony here, the movement he displays in that video d
Posted via Mobile Device

Zeke 05-30-2013 12:19 AM

I'm with existentialpony here, the movement he displays in that video doesn't warrant the high price tag. His knees bother me over those jumps and he just has a clunky look to him. Its almost as if he's just lazy. He does appear to be respectful however which is a big plus, you could train for better jumping and correct carriage. That would cost more however....

Here's where my h/j ignorance comes in. For that price I would personally expect to see a video with some nice flatwork showing lead changes, transitions etc moving into jumps that were a little more impressive in height. I realize some of the Eq classes stick to smaller jumps but for that money I'd want a horse who could move correctly over something higher.

Doesn't sound like the owner *wants* to sell, are you looking to lease? If not I would pass if not try to find the reasoning behind the high price.
Posted via Mobile Device

upnover 05-30-2013 06:35 PM

I think he's lovely. I think he has a sweet expression and possibly gets a little strong in some of the lines but has the ability to float down the lines on the step and make it look easy. (unfortunately "lazy" is a bit of the look that hunters have these days) He is a hair sloppy over these little jumps but, well, they're little. Although in the picture he hangs his lower legs. Even still, I'd like to see him over something bigger to really evaluate his jump. He's not the BEST mover as hunters go but he is a cute mover. If you want the best mover, double his price and start from there. I don't think he's over priced at all. Mid to low 5 figures for an A show warmblood that has been to zone finals and has experience in all 3 rings is nothing. Check out the trainer's other horse she has for sale on bigeq. 3 year old hunter PROSPECT that's barely jump and just been started undersaddle in the same price range. "A" show horses are expensive. He's definitely worth a look. My question would be how ridable he is. I'd like to see how strong he gets jumping, what kind of prep he needs at shows, etc.

upnover 05-30-2013 06:46 PM

have you looked at his USEF record? it's decent. His results are a little all over the board but overall he's done decently and come home with some pretty nice ribbons out of larger classes. Again, worth a look.

kathryn 06-03-2013 05:45 AM

Hey guys! I went to go see him yesterday and my trainer and I both really liked him. My trainer agreed that his movement is "decent" but not perfect. She agrees that he is not Mr. Super Fancy, but I am more looking for something to help me move into rated showing and not something to sweep at WEF. She thinks I should lease him for a year then buy something younger and fancier once I graduate from college. His lease fee is 7500 (negotiatbale, so hopefully I could get that lower). I saw her 3 year old too, she was STUNNING. Do you think 7500 is a good price for the lease?

maura 06-03-2013 06:27 AM

I like him. As a confidence builder and something to garner some mileage and experience on, I think he's a good choice.

I would like to see him over larger fences as well, but the manner and way of going are exactly what you want.

Do ask what his maintenence expenses are.

I think $7500.00 Is a reasonable lease fee. Usual guideline is 1/3 the horse's market value, and I believe he's a 20 - 25K horse.

NOTE to other posters: Yes, this is what A show hunters with a record cost. PLEASE let's not turn this thread in to a discussion about how outrageous the price is.

upnover 06-05-2013 05:43 PM

amen Maura!

Like she said, typical price for a lease is a 1/3 of the purchase price. Which is about fair. It's not a jaw dropping good deal nor is it at all high. I would hope that they'd be willing to negotiate a bit on the price simply because it's summer, it's the middle of the show season. Points chasers already have their horses for the season, who else are they going to lease to? If they're eager to get him leased knocking off a bit might possible. But even if they don't, still a nice price.

Glad it went well! If I remember correctly you've been looking for a while right?? Hope it goes well! Keep us updated!