The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   First Canter Lesson (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/first-canter-lesson-202657/)

Bckz14 05-29-2013 02:44 PM

First Canter Lesson

Hi

I have been riding for about 6 lessons. My RI thinks that I am a natural horse rider :?

I can do a sitting trot with and without stirrups and a posting trot. I can trot in two point fairly comfortably.

My RI wants me to try to canter tomorrow in my lesson... I have watched youtube videos and read about it and it seems the best bit of knowledge I have found is to try to move with the horse, keep hips and shoulders in line and don't lean forward.

Is there anything else I should think about? I will be starting on the lunge I think and probably will have a go without stirrups...

Thanks,
B

- This is a video of my first trot lesson....

Endiku 05-29-2013 05:21 PM

6th lesson in seems a little hasty for cantering to me, but I'm glad to hear that your instructor starts you on the lunge for new gaits, and if that was your first time trotting, I'd say you're doing quite well! Just remember to relax your body, sit up straight, and let the horse move you. Don't work against him, or it will be that much harder!

You have quite the lazy lesson horse though xD I was sure he'd fallen asleep while 'trotting' a couple of times, there! Ask him to step it up and move forwards more, and it will be a lot easier for you to stay with him at the trot.

Skyseternalangel 05-29-2013 05:55 PM

Don't over think the canter. That's my advice to you :)

SlideStop 05-29-2013 06:30 PM

Not to shabby. Try to anticipate the motion instead of waiting for him to give you the little "pop" upwards. Think about a forward and back motion instead of up and down. You look very mechanical up there, but that should lessen with the more lessons you get under your belt.

As for the canter, sit and relax your hips. I try to tell myself to make pretend your "scooping ice cream" with you with your pelvis.

Skyseternalangel 05-29-2013 06:48 PM

I watched your video (since Slidestop did, I felt I should too) and agree about the mechanical posting. The only TRUE posting you did was at 1:03 when you were trying to transition back to a walk.

You can definitely sit the canter but you aren't quite ready to ride it by yourself off the lunge w/ reins yet

Bckz14 05-30-2013 12:26 AM

Thank you for your replies - I will try tonight!

The video was of my first trot lesson....I have had three more lessons since...so I hope I am a bit more natural looking now.

:) B

Bckz14 05-30-2013 03:47 PM

Complete and utter disaster

I turned up ready for my canter lesson. Except it wasn't a canter lesson anymore but a group hack...don't ask me how that happened!

I then find out that I am riding a horse who I had a week or so ago....who I could not control, who tried everything to do the opposite of what I wanted her to do, etc.

So we set off....all is fine - until she decided she wanted to be at the front of the line and breaks in to a very fast canter (I have never cantered in my life and have only had 7 lessons) I lost a stirrup and nearly fell off.....safe to say I am now slightly shaken. For the rest of the hack my trot felt disjointed and tense :(

The whole incident was frustrating as my RI told be before that no-one wants to ride this horse because she is so unpredictable, young and needs more training....

:( :( :(

Corporal 05-30-2013 04:09 PM

So sorry to hear about the bad lesson. **hugs**
I learned to ride before I took lessons, as many people do.
Real riding lessons are learning to stay on and control the horse in a controlled environment. You are a paying customer and need to complain that the horse does not listen to you or the instructor.
When I taught I used my own horses and I controlled THEIR movement from the middle of the ring. I could stop, start, cue forward and faster or slower, and that is probably why my lesson horses were pretty much bombproof and babysitters when we loaned them out to others at CW Reenactments. Even when I rode ONE of my horses, all of the others would take their cues from ME.
You've had a bit of a fright. I say, sit the trot for a few MONTHS, especially without stirrups. That will teach you how to balance and to move with the horse. When the time comes to canter, remember what MY excellent Hunt-Seat teacher taught us, which was "to brush the back of the seat with your fanny."

Skyseternalangel 05-30-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bckz14 (Post 2658609)
Complete and utter disaster

I turned up ready for my canter lesson. Except it wasn't a canter lesson anymore but a group hack...don't ask me how that happened!

I then find out that I am riding a horse who I had a week or so ago....who I could not control, who tried everything to do the opposite of what I wanted her to do, etc.

So we set off....all is fine - until she decided she wanted to be at the front of the line and breaks in to a very fast canter (I have never cantered in my life and have only had 7 lessons) I lost a stirrup and nearly fell off.....safe to say I am now slightly shaken. For the rest of the hack my trot felt disjointed and tense :(

The whole incident was frustrating as my RI told be before that no-one wants to ride this horse because she is so unpredictable, young and needs more training....

:( :( :(

Then she shouldn't have put you on him!

That's a sign of a bad instuctor.

PinkStella 05-31-2013 10:59 AM

I'm new to riding, so take my opinion for what it's worth (considerably less than two cents)...don't rush into anything. You have all the time in the world to learn and get stronger. Take your time and work through the process. I'd be shaken, too, if I were in your shoes. While she challenges me and has taught me (literally) everything I know about riding, my instructor has never pushed me beyond my ability. Part of being about to canter properly is about having the leg and core strength to stay on even if you do lose a stirrup and the ability to do it all calmly. You will get there, but it takes time. It sounds as if she put you on a horse and in a situation that you weren't ready for. Riding is not without risk, but you shouldn't have to feel shaken or scared going into it.