The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Buy a Pony or a small horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/buy-pony-small-horse-20303/)

stacieandtheboys 01-06-2009 10:38 AM

Buy a Pony or a small horse?

I am buying my boys ages 6 and 3 their first horse/pony. I have found 2 that I am torn between. One is a 10 year old welch cross mare. She loads lungesstands for the farrier and really takes care of her rider. Problem is I found a 7 year old gelding (small horse 14hh) that is the same way.

The pony has a lot of people interested but I have time on the horse.

I don't know which would be better. The pony who is about 13hh ish or the 14hh horse.

lovemyponies 01-06-2009 10:44 AM

I am a pony person!, actually both are ponies, if the small horse is 14 hands its a large pony. usually large ponies are more popular and sell faster than the smaller ones. (I know I have been looking for a nice large pony for a while) With kids that young I would opt for the smaller one. It helps them build confidence. Yes they will out grow it eventually and more quickly than the larger one. But honestly they may lose interest sooner than you think anyway.

Are you small enough to ride the smaller one? most ponies can carry 150 lbs w/o issue. I would suggest you or some more advanced rider working the pony on a regular basis, unless its an older dead quiet pony.

I went from small pony to medium pony before going to a small horse and I enjoyed my ponies the most of any mount I have ever had.

Also the smaller pony will be easier for your little ones to groom, bathe, etc.
Just my 2 cents. got any more details/pics of the two in question?

stacieandtheboys 01-06-2009 10:50 AM

I do have pics. Will post in a minute. I am leaning towards the pony honestly but I think I am to big to ride her.

lovemyponies 01-06-2009 10:58 AM

Stacieandtheboys, if the other one is 14 hands its not much bigger and still a pony. riding the smaller one depends on how big boned they are, etc. but would love some pics. its a tough decision but they both sound really nice :)

stacieandtheboys 01-06-2009 11:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
First pic is of Coal the 14hh gelding

Second pic is the pony mare

lovemyponies 01-06-2009 11:06 AM

both so cute! though I am partial to the smaller pony, omg we have one that looks almost exactly like it! looks very sturdy! I am about 135 to 140 and I ride the pony and she is about 12 hands, soooo.
is there anyone else who might be able to ride either just to keep them in tuned up?

stacieandtheboys 01-06-2009 11:12 AM

I am not a gigantic person (about 150-155 and working on lowering it) I am the only one that could ride to tune up.

The gelding is dominant in the pasture and the mare is more reserved. I have a 10year old mare and 10 year old gelding.

lovemyponies 01-06-2009 11:17 AM

have you had your 6 year old ride either? that might help make your decision. I bet you could ride the pony just fine and not hurt her at all. She is very sturdy and as long as it was just for light work I am sure it would be fine. Both look super cute. Do your boys have a preference? I just suggest having you ride either just for tune ups as I have seen ponies that are only ridden lightly by kids get a bit difficult.
Best of luck and let us know which one you get and how it goes.

stacieandtheboys 01-06-2009 11:28 AM

Thanks! I will let you know!

lovemyponies 01-06-2009 12:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the little one that we do ride (adults) working on getting her suitable for kids again as she has been off for 5 years :lol: