The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Cribbing lesson horse! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/cribbing-lesson-horse-20311/)

appy rider 4 life 01-06-2009 12:37 PM

Cribbing lesson horse!

So my " lesson horse" Calvin is a bad cribber! is there any thing i can do to help his owner get him through this? thanks!

Angel_Leaguer 01-06-2009 01:20 PM

Cripping is very tough to stop. Have you ruled out any health issues? Like ulcers, or is he stalled a lot?

You can also buy cribbing straps that can sometimes prevent it but not always. Where does her primarly crib at?

appy rider 4 life 01-06-2009 02:06 PM

Calvin is a ex show horse, if that helps he like to eat the shed of the chicken coop. i have heard you can use soap too.

nascarcats 01-06-2009 03:43 PM

Lots of time, it can be a nutrient definecy. Is he wind sucking? WHen he pulls back is he sucking in wind? If not, he maybe wood chewing. That is a little easier to stop. Farnman's Quitt is supposed to work and if not, money back guarentee.

G and K's Mom 01-06-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appy rider 4 life (Post 223426)
Calvin is a ex show horse, if that helps he like to eat the shed of the chicken coop. i have heard you can use soap too.

Is he chewing or cribbing/wind sucking? Big difference between the two.

sandy2u1 01-06-2009 04:23 PM

if this horse is anything like my friends then soap will not stop it. it can stop them from doing it on certain objects, but if they really want to do it they will find something to crib on. My friends horse just moved on to stumps, the water container and she will even crib off her pasture mate! all she needs to do it is something to put her mouth on. the only thing that may work is a cribbing collar.

minihorse927 01-07-2009 03:02 AM

If it is cribbing, which is wind sucking, then the weaver miracle collar works wonders!

If it is wood chewing, then quitt helps to slow it down. When I used quitt it helped them to stop chewing in the stalls, but if I tied them somewhere they were right back at chewing at the post they were tied to. If it is just pure bordem causing the chewing, I would find him something to do to take up the excess time. Maybe extra hay, a toy, more workouts...etc

appy rider 4 life 01-07-2009 02:31 PM

This was so helpfull! thank you! he is just cribbing what a pain it is i tell you.

shermanismybaby3006 01-07-2009 03:12 PM

The difficult thing about cribbing is most of the time you cant make them stop especially if they have been doing it for a while. My mare I used to lease cribbed and the only way we could prevent her from cribbing is from a cribbing collar. You could also try things like putting hot sauce on everything he can crib on, but cribbing collars work the best in my opinion.

appy rider 4 life 01-08-2009 09:17 AM

All right, i just do no want his teeth to ware down. thank you all!