The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waiting on Baby...

16K views 167 replies 24 participants last post by  Falcor74 
#1 ·
We have been waiting for about 3 weeks now, for one of my mares (Vana) to have her baby. When I bought her, I was told that she would be due "at the end of May". Well, here we are, 2nd to last day of the month, and... no baby. Reading some of the other threads had me in stitches yesterday, since I could relate. The horses are out at my mom's place, she is keeping and eye on her to make sure, if Vana goes down, she can call me right away. I have my daughter go and check her before she goes riding, and she send me pictures of her vulva, lol, so I can see how she is progressing. I was out there Tuesday, and snapped some recent photos. She is a veteran mare used to having pasture babies, I have reached the point now where it will happen when it happens, lol. That's not to say I am not like everyone else, anxiously waiting for her to even look like she is laying down
. I have included Tuesday's pictures as well as the stud she is bred (back) to and their colt from last year.

Attachments

See less See more
#59 ·
The wait must be driving you crazy! Waiting for my maiden mare to foal this summer drove me nuts! (mostly the excitement of waiting haha) she actually "followed the books" when it came to foaling surprisingly! Showed a lot of the classic pre foaling signs and foaled at 332 days. I noticed she looked restless out in her pasture and milk was SQUIRTING out with every step she took. So brought her into her foaling stall and as soon as she got inside went into labor! Was pretty amazing :) can't wait to see your foal!!

#60 ·
Yep... but I still have all my hair:rofl:! I just want everything to go smoothly and have a nice healthy baby on the ground. This is my first with this mare, so even though she is a veteran, I am still worried a little. She is outside her "due date", but since I have had to revamp a couple of times, who knows when she was actually bred. If she does not have it by the end of this month, my vet wants me to bring her in to get an ultrasound.

Reactions: Teeallmee
#66 ·
Yep. If she does not have it by the end of this month, my vet wants me to bring her in to get an ultrasound.
That sounds like a great idea. I may need to do that as well. According to Shadows previous owner's calculations, she is 364 days in foal today. She wasn't eating large amounts of hay at a time last week, but now she is eating like a ........well, you know....a HORSE! Lol.

#67 ·
Nada here. Spent a lot of time with the kiddos tonight and scratching Vana's belly, since she can't reach around herself. Poor mares. We have been have mid 90 degree weather here still, so I am more than ready for fall, and I imagine she is too.

#71 ·
Yep, and considering she was "suppose" to have it in May, with the breeder's other mares, she is definitely holding out on me! Luckily, our snows usually hit until December and January.

#72 ·
Here are yesterday's glamour shots. She is starting to look like she is losing weight, due to the baby dropping. From the front or back, you can't see the baby, but definitely from the side.

Attachments

Reactions: Teeallmee
#76 ·
Lol sarahb87, I know. I keep moving the pictures to my laptop so I don't max out the memory in my phone!

lilbit, the vet came out a week and a half ago, and checked her and said she was just not as far along as we thought (since she was pasture bred before I got her). She said she is progressing well otherwise, and to not stress her out with a trailer ride (since she would prefer to US her at the clinic), unless she goes more than 4 more weeks (so roughly 2 more before she goes in).

#78 ·
I know, and I was beginning to doubt myself and the breeder, but the vet confirmed the pregnancy, just not the due date, lol. The baby has been laying lengthwise almost the entire pregnancy it seems.

#81 ·
Yep! Think I have been through every emotion on this coaster!!! Just want a healthy baby, then I will bore everyone with baby pics, lol.

#83 ·
I am more frustrated than anything since I can't guarantee when she was even bred, since I did not own her at that time. I just have to go on what the breeder said. We have already revamped her due date twice.

#85 ·
lol... just take a picture when she sticks her tongue out at you. Next year both my mares are going out to the same facility (still have to decided which 1 of 2 studs to breed either/both to), so they will be hand bred. I will know exactly when they are bred, but will still have to guess at gestation length. At least it will give me a better idea anyways. I am going out tonight to check on her... just don't want her to drop it in the mud! She has a carport big enough for all 5 horses, but she doesn't like it under there. UGH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.