The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Curious, do people like Paints? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/curious-do-people-like-paints-203185/)

paintgirl96 05-30-2013 11:52 AM

Curious, do people like Paints?

I was scrolling down my area's online sales network, & someone was offering ranch horse training to horses for pretty cheap, & my friend is needing her Arabian broke for cutting cattle, so I looked. Well he said he'd break any horse, except for Paint Horses. I've had & worked with many breeds; spotted saddle horses, tennessee walkers, thoroughbreds, appendix's, quarter horse's, paint horse's, arabian's, mini's, shetlands, donkeys, mules, belgians, half friesian's, saddlebred's, standardbreds, & the only one I don't really care for are Standardbreds. She was a great horse, but I didn't like the gait she had for some reason. Anyway, is it personal preference on why he won't break Paint's, or is it because I've heard & read (& from personal experience) all the Paint's I have/had, have been more spirited/faster than Quarters?
Curious. (:

jaydee 05-30-2013 12:00 PM

I love Paints - pintos, coloured horses as we call them in the UK.
Cant think why anyone would say they would be harder to break and train. I've ridden a few since I've been here and didn't find them any different to anything else - obviously all horses are different but not sure how colour would affect that
Someone in the UK once said to me that all dun coloured horses were either really good or really bad.

morganarab94 05-30-2013 12:04 PM

I love paints! One of the sweetest horses I know is a paint.
And I've also heard that about Duns too. Not sure why they say that, but I've heard that as well.

waresbear 05-30-2013 12:06 PM

Paints are the same as any other horse, no easier or more difficult to work with. Maybe that trainer is lacking skills or just biased but whatever the case, a trainer refusing to train a common breed of horse doesn't bode well with me.
Posted via Mobile Device

paintgirl96 05-30-2013 12:11 PM

I love the color of a paint horse - & the patterns you can end up with. Some people don't like the "mostly white" Paint's, like if a Tovero is mostly white, or if it's a Overo, or medicine hat. Most people prefer a Tobiano paint because the color & white is balanced. But I don't understand why he wouldn't train them, it's not like he's gonna be keeping the horse..

apachiedragon 05-30-2013 12:29 PM

I've known and owned lots of Paints. They are no more difficult or stronger than most of the Quarters i have worked with. What an odd thing to say. Even odder when you consider one of the dominant bloodlines in Paints IS Quarter. I've never heard of anyone refusing to train Paints when they will still agree to train Arabs and TB's etc. Those breeds usually have the bias of "hot-blooded or temperamental". Not that that's any truer, just more commonly heard. I would be finding another trainer, one without a breed bias.

paintgirl96 05-30-2013 12:36 PM

I would train my friends horse myself but I have a stallion I'm training & two mare's that need refreshing, so I won't have the time. A paint horse is, yeah, pretty much a colored up Quarter horse.

BlueSpark 05-30-2013 01:56 PM

its possible he's just had bad experiences with them and is not fond of the breed, although a 'professional' should be able to put preferences aside.

DancingArabian 05-30-2013 02:04 PM

It's just like how some people love a Dodge over a Ford or won't ever drive a Chevy or whatever. There's always someone who will dislike a breed and someone else who is a big fan.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 05-30-2013 02:07 PM

Never had a Paint problem here., and working on our new little guy, Buckshot.
Posted via Mobile Device