The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Chokolate's Digital Art (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/chokolates-digital-art-203745/)

Chokolate 05-31-2013 06:00 AM

Chokolate's Digital Art

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys!

I was inspired by some of the awesome digital artists here on the board and thought, why not give it a go?

Well, it's heaps different to pen-and-paper but I am HOOKED and now want to do more!

So here, without further ado, is my first ever lineart colouring in! (using a mouse, I couldn't draw the lines so got them from the talented Eduscia on dA.)

I did use a tutorial to start, but sort of made it up to suit this particular horse :)

Critiques are welcome! However, please do NOT critique the lines, I did not draw them, just the colouring/shading. In fact, some of the amazing artists here, I would really appreciate it :).

Personally, I like the overall shading but think it lacks texture (though exporting it killed the quality HEAPS) and it has issues with the tail, lol. I didn't know how to chop it out. Also, the face is darker than the body. But I think it's pretty good for a first try!

blue eyed pony 05-31-2013 06:53 AM

Stronger highlights would really bring it to life :)

Also some deeper shadows. I use a surprisingly large amount of black when I'm shading bays ;)

Chokolate 05-31-2013 07:43 AM

Thanks! I didn't really want to overdo it and was a bit overly cautious, also really didn't want to get the muscle lines in the wrong place and stuff because that would just look skewed. I think it's a bit fuzzy too, should I have made the lines sharper?

I'm about to start a new one, I'll be a bit more out there with this one.

Someday I want to make my own line art and colour it in so it's truly mine, but it's just so hard! :lol: I use drawcast on the family iPad and it's way way easier to do lines, I do a fair few horses on that but never finish them.

blue eyed pony 05-31-2013 08:03 AM

I used to sketch and then line on paper and scan it into my computer, then colour under it :)

A healthy horse with no sore muscles should be smoothly muscled with minimal muscle lines when standing still. Muscle definition comes into play when the horse is moving.

Chokolate 06-01-2013 01:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried that but it didn't work, it came out dark and smudgy :( that's OK, I'll start work on lines of the iPad :).

Here's a new one I just started, by ApacheCove on dA. It's going to be palomino :)

I start with a light shade on the bottom and dark on the top. Speaking of shadowing, should I make it a little more contrasted?

blue eyed pony 06-01-2013 07:08 AM

Are you using a good scanner? If not you stand no chance of getting good lines of your own from paper to computer.

You'll find that once you start putting backgrounds on, you'll need to adjust how deep you shade to fit the lighting in your background. The shadows will be deeper and the highlights brighter in a very brightly lit scene, whereas in a darker lit scene your shadows will be very deep and your highlights not so much.

What I'm seeing overall as a rule is that your highlights aren't bright enough and your shadows could be a bit deeper. From your description of your process it sounds like you're basing and shading, but not highlighting. The deeper your shadows and brighter your highlights, the shinier the horse looks.

rexing93 06-01-2013 10:50 PM

O.O lovely job. I'm officially jealous of your skill.

Chokolate 06-02-2013 06:23 AM

BEP: Nope, not using a good scanner, using the one that comes on top of the printer lol. Ah well. I can draw on iPad and use them when I plug them into the computer.

You're right, I should do more highlighting :) but I'm never sure if I have it in the right place.

Rexing, I have literally never had anyone say that to me about my art before :) thankyou! (my art teacher in yr 8 hated me, because I hated the theory :twisted:)

blue eyed pony 06-02-2013 10:17 AM

That's where it helps, like I said in the other thread, to study your anatomy. Light [thus your highlighting] brightens the first thing it hits. When you know your anatomy you know what parts of the horse will catch the light and therefore need highlighting.

Also nice to have a reference. Doesn't have to be what you're actually drawing off, just something similar in pose and with the lighting coming from the same direction as what you want to draw.

Also, my only scanner is the one in the top of my printer too - but my printer's a really nice quality multifunction station by Epson and with good paper in it would be a passable photo printer [we're cheapskates and use copy paper, but photo paper is recommended]. If the printer part was working, that is!

SunnyMeadeFarm 06-07-2013 02:14 PM

Nice start! firstly, what did you do to shade? it is dodge/burn or a soft brush? if either of those I would strongly suggest trying the hard brush wtih low/medium opacity and color pick method, it creates a lot more hard detail which i think is the main issue with this, but you definitely show a great understand of color, on that note though try shading with other colors than black and white, try dark blue or green (so dark it's almost black) and maybe a pale red to mimic the coat highlights, but I have DEFINITELY seen worse first tries, this one is comparatively great!

Just the main points of my ramble is try to use harder shading (example is of my own painting in my avatar, I used hard pick and blend shading on it) and pay attention to contrast, as it is the main lack of this piece. definitely update with more! love to see improvements of artist's over time :)