The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   Moody mare help!! (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/moody-mare-help-203849/)

Leanneandkitty2013 05-31-2013 10:34 AM

Moody mare help!!

Hi I brought my first horse named kitty who is a pleasure to be around and is very affectionate on the ground but when she is in seaon she changes in the saddle she won't stand still for me to mount her and kicks her back leg out, when I do get on she bucks and is taking off. does anyone have any advice on how to calm her down or even how to gain her trust and respect I am a novice so I'd really appreciate any advice thanks

usandpets 05-31-2013 12:03 PM

From what you said, her actions don't sound like they are based on fear, excitement, or lacking trust. It does sound like she is irritated.

You might want to have her checked over by a vet when she goes into heat, for soreness or pain. After that, I would put her butt to work when she decides to move when you want her to stand still. I would increase my energy level, like a "Come to Jesus" meeting with her, so she would understand pretty quick that her behavior was unacceptable.

Now if her actions were fear or excitement based, I would remain calm and stay with while she moved getting on, basically desensitizing.

For the bucking, get someone experienced to help or try to ride it out but pull her head to the side.
Posted via Mobile Device

usandpets 05-31-2013 01:19 PM

One thing I forgot to mention, when you do get on, don't start going right away. Stand there for a minute or two. Flex her to both sides a few times. If you are in the habit of taking off as soon as you get on, the horse will anticipate it and try to before you are ready. That also could be why she moves around while you are getting on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Prunella1 06-01-2013 11:24 PM

Have you tried putting her in a round pen and lunging her a little before riding her? I like to use a round pen and lunge a horse that I am not familiar with before riding, and then ride in the pen for a few minutes to see if the horse has any vices, the saddle doesn't fit right, etc. Never hurts to change up her routine and stand your ground, and even if she is in season, she should have good manners. It wouldn't hurt to have her checked by a vet, as USANDPETS recommended. I totally agree with USANDPETS.

cjsunshine 06-04-2013 09:58 AM

Mares...

Where I used to board they were big on Mare Magic. Herbal Supplement. It worked for some and some it didn't like any herbal remedy. It can't hurt to try it. I don't think it will cure any of your problems but it may help a little with calming.

goneriding 06-10-2013 10:43 AM

My mare was just seen by a vet due to issues related to heat cycles. Regumate was recommended.

Copperhead 06-10-2013 10:45 AM

Mares tend to cramp up like women sometimes. I've heard that Mare Magic really helps with that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dustbunny 06-10-2013 11:10 AM

She only does this when she is in season? I'd have a good vet check-up.
I'd also make sure there isn't a saddle fit problem. Some horses react dramatically to discomfort.

aforred 06-10-2013 11:13 AM

I would also have her seen by a vet. The first heat cycle of the year is often more dramatic than later ones, as far as symptoms go. Some mares do just get really crampy, but there might be something else going on, like an ovarian cyst.

sparklefox 06-10-2013 01:19 PM

Agnus Cactus is supposed to be a very good herbal supplement for mares who are a bit hormonal when they're in season.