The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Ponying? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/ponying-203865/)

barebackbeautyqueen 05-31-2013 10:43 AM

Ponying?

Does it matter for how long it is for? I know you're not supposed to work with them for to long so just curious.. She's a yearling.
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 05-31-2013 11:24 AM

Depends on how intense the work is. I've ponied yearlings for a couple hours at a walk on trail rides, with a trot stretch thrown in here and there. If you're doing conditioning work, I would start with ten minutes and work up.
Posted via Mobile Device

barebackbeautyqueen 05-31-2013 01:03 PM

it'd just be walking and little trotting until she gets older. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 05-31-2013 01:10 PM

Then you're probably only limited by her attention span. I love ponying the young ones. They can learn a lot that way, especially how to deal with new things and less than ideal terrain. When I get one that hasn't grown up in a pretty rugged pasture, it's my favorite way to get them comfortable with crossing creeks and going up and down hills. The more exposure they get at this age, the less you have to worry about when they get older.

Dustbunny 05-31-2013 01:26 PM

Make sure your pony horse is good with the program and understands his part of the job.

Cherie 06-01-2013 04:58 PM

Ponying a young horse some is OK, but I have found that 2 problems 'can' arise out doing a lot of ponying without taking preventive measures.

If you do not pony a horse from both your right and left side, they will be 'limber-necked' to the left and stiff to the right when you start riding them.

Some horses get really 'hung up' on a pony horse and want to go to another horse when you start riding them. They can have a really deep-seated problem with being 'buddy sour'.

When I have ponied horses a lot, I always made sure they carried their heads as straight in front of them as I could get them to and ponied them more on the side that wanted to be stiff.

When I was done ponying any horse, I stopped somewhere beside the barn with and tied it up. Then, when the horse was good and quiet, I hosed it off if it was sweaty and again tied it out a long way from other horses. This helps prevent a horse from wanting to go back to the barn with their buddy.