The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cars and Trucks (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/)
-   -   Any Experience with the Toyota Tundra? (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/any-experience-toyota-tundra-204017/)

karliejaye 05-31-2013 02:51 PM

Any Experience with the Toyota Tundra?

Saving up for a hauling truck and my husband is adament that the Tundra is the God-send of trucks (after I convinced him that his 4 banger Tacoma won't cut it). I have driven and hauled with just about everything but the Tundra.
So, who here has experience with the Tundra? Is the V8 version all it's cracked up to be? What's the gas mileage like when hauling (I've got a featherlight aluminum 2 horse and 2 fat horses)? How much maintenance does the engine require comparatively?

calicokatt 05-31-2013 03:01 PM

We hauled with a Toyota Tundra for about 5 years, worked great. Gas mileage was pretty good, even when hauling (Circle J 2 slant with two average horses). Engine didn't need much maintenance until it hit about 100k miles, then it did require some work. It wouldn't be my choice of truck to haul with though, was just what we had at the time. I feel that its too lightly built to really be the safest hauling vehicle (though this was a 2002, maybe the newer ones are different?), though we never had any issues.

Koolio 08-11-2013 10:20 AM

I love my Tundra! I use it to haul a small 2 horse aluminum Sundowner horse trailer. Empty, I don't even know the trailer is there. Loaded with my Clyde X and my daughter's Appendix mare, I hardly know its there. Gas mileage doesn't change a ton when hauling. I never feel like I lack for power and the 4wd works well on winter roads. We have the crew cab, so lots of extra room inside.

That said, I think most of the newer v8 half tons will perform similarly.

Joe4d 08-11-2013 10:51 AM

u buy something different and anything that ever goes wrong with it will be your fault and hubby wont want to work on it.
Wouldnt be my choice though, suspension is light. Used to be a royal pain to add anything like trailer brakes to a toyota. not sure if they are plug an play these days. I woul dmake sure you get trailer brake controller as part of the deal.

Joe4d 08-11-2013 11:04 AM

was gonna point out the japanese truck will run great right to the unemployment office,, but ummm in half tons at least, honda, ford and toyota tie for most American. While chevy/gmc is down near the bottom. Dodge is in the middle.

verona1016 08-11-2013 12:46 PM

I just got a Tundra 2 months ago and haul a 2 horse slant with it, usually with just one horse in it. I don't even notice the trailer is there on flat ground, but do notice it takes more to accelerate on the winding uphill to the nearby state park (it doesn't help that as soon as I've gotten up to speed there's another low speed curve!)

I got the 2010 4.6L V8, there's also a larger 5.7L engine available if you're towing more weight.

I've been very impressed with the factory tow package. Adding the brake controller was super easy- it's prewired, so just plugs in below the dash. It was also prewired for a backup camera, which I was also able to install myself and makes lining up with the trailer a breeze.

Oreos Girl 08-11-2013 03:31 PM

I love my Tundra. It is a 2008 with the 5.7L engine. I definitely recommend the larger engine. Mine pulls like there is nothing there. I do drop from about 15 to 10 mpg with my steel trailer back there.

Phly 08-11-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oreos Girl (Post 3321185)
I love my Tundra. It is a 2008 with the 5.7L engine. I definitely recommend the larger engine. Mine pulls like there is nothing there. I do drop from about 15 to 10 mpg with my steel trailer back there.

Wow I would expected better mpg, empty atleast....
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 08-11-2013 03:44 PM

I've gotten 20 mpg when not towing, 16 mpg on a tank that had mixed towing and not towing.

Oreos Girl 08-11-2013 04:52 PM

I get 19 hwy not towing. But it is the larger engine too. Which no matter what brand truck you get, get the larger engine with the installed towing package.