The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   The Great Hoof Debate (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/great-hoof-debate-204369/)

trackstar 05-31-2013 11:01 PM

The Great Hoof Debate

To shoe or not to shoe!! So the thoroughbred that I rescued is wearing front shoes right now. From what the owner told me, he was very wormy and not properly treated a while ago, so his hooves suffered a bit due to the lack of nutrients. That is why she shod him. I'm thinking of taking off the shoes. I can see where the new growth is coming in and its looking nice. I am not working him nor will I be doing so for a while.
I am all for keeping a horse barefoot if I can. Any opinions?

spirit88 05-31-2013 11:24 PM

It depends on the horse some can do barefoot some can't. Hoof boots are a option to that's what I use. Well iam not riding right now my horse isn't sound but do use the boots on him during the day.

Phly 05-31-2013 11:29 PM

I'm a fan of barefoot, but, some horses and some jobs need shoes. Or some corrective helpful assistance.

I know that sounds vague, but its really a horse by horse situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

trackstar 05-31-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2670897)
I'm a fan of barefoot, but, some horses and some jobs need shoes. Or some corrective helpful assistance.

I know that sounds vague, but its really a horse by horse situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe if I get some pics of his feet that would help. I'm gonna have my farrier check him out but its just nice to see if anyone can relate.

Phly 05-31-2013 11:46 PM

As far as relating, I totally can relate.

Our newest horse came shod. We pulled his shoes and he's fine. Actually his feet are better now and he isn't lame/off at all even on rocky trails.

Pictures will get you some really good opinions (but be sure to get good pictures or you'll hear about it lol) but you'll still be the one to decide.
Posted via Mobile Device

Missy May 05-31-2013 11:54 PM

It would depend on the terrain - if it is soft ground, I would be inclined to take them off, trim them appropriately, and take no other "protective" measure (e.g., boots). Everyone has their own personal preference (boots vs shoes), I would use boots 24/7 if warranted and until they are no longer needed.

loosie 06-01-2013 01:52 AM

Hi,

*As a rule* I think shoeless is almost always better for the horse. There are exceptions to every rule though and please notice I didn't say barefoot is best. Bare is great for many horses, but when working, many horses in different situations do indeed need protection/support. I think hoof boots are *generally* the best option for this.

OP, as it's one of those questions that has many strong opinions and many of them have little to no science behind them(on either side of the 'fence'), it's just a matter of learning all you can of the pros & cons & effects of different management, then making up your own mind on what is right for your horse & situation. If you would like any specific advice on your horse's feet, then hoof pics & more info on diet, environment, work, etc is needed.

PaintHorseMares 06-01-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 2672049)
OP, as it's one of those questions that has many strong opinions and many of them have little to no science behind them(on either side of the 'fence'), it's just a matter of learning all you can of the pros & cons & effects of different management, then making up your own mind on what is right for your horse & situation. If you would like any specific advice on your horse's feet, then hoof pics & more info on diet, environment, work, etc is needed.

This...and you won't know for sure if barefoot works until you try (and be patient enough to give it time). A previous owner of our lead penner (who is thin soled) just about fell over in disbelief seeing her barefoot on the trail and asphalt road. She had previously always been shod and the had strongly believed that she would always need shoes. Barefoot doesn't work for all of them, but it does for our mares.

princessfluffybritches 06-01-2013 04:06 PM

I a firm believer in what the horse needs. I would get the farrier's opinion. He can tell you a lot about the thickness of sole, and how well the hoof wall is doing at the bottom.

If you do go barefoot, just listen carefully to what your horse is telling you. Mincy steps? Shorter stride? Tripping?

loosie 06-02-2013 08:48 PM

^^A GOOD farrier/hoof care practitioner should be able to advise well & objectively, but IME there are just so many more bad/average/ill educated ones out there, that unless the owner is well informed already, it's just blind faith taking a trimmer's word for anything. Unfortunately there's no short cuts to owners educating themselves.