The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   high tensile wire vs barbless??? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/high-tensile-wire-vs-barbless-204745/)

horsecrazygirl13 06-01-2013 06:57 PM

high tensile wire vs barbless???

Hi I am putting up fence for a 2 acre summer pasture for my horse. We get lot's of snow there so I'll be putting up wire. I just dont know what kind of wire to use. We have a spool of High tensile wire sitting around but I was wondering if barbless wire was safer or not? We will have a few strands of polywire/electric tape between the wire strands for visibility and to keep my horse off the fence. My horse respects wire fences and has grown up with them. He looks at the wire as if it's going to kill him.:lol::lol::lol:

toto 06-01-2013 07:01 PM

Id use the hightensle just because the barbless wire tends to sag and the ht wire will stay tight and nice- its pretty visable too. Thats all we use for our horse fencing- you can also insulate it and put a hot box to it.

waresbear 06-01-2013 07:04 PM

I have never used barbless wire, but my pasture is fenced with heavy gauge high tensile. We have massive trees fall on it and it doesn't break, just chainsaw the tree off and tighten up the fence. We installed roller tighteners every span of 300 to 400 feet. You do have to have sturdy braced corner posts however.

horsecrazygirl13 06-01-2013 07:26 PM

Ok GREAT! I guess I dont have to go look for barbless then because we have a large spool of High Tensile. I just have to get some more posts and polytape, put it up and connect it to my existing "charger". Thanks again!

caseymyhorserocks 06-01-2013 09:52 PM

Put flagging tape on the fence- it is cheap and makes it visible, although it doesn't look the best. You can get it in pretty colors though! I have... -cough cough-... 70+ rolls here from my dad (ex-forester).
Blue Flagging Tape S-6089BLU - Uline
High tensile wire tends to blend in into the surroundings a little bit. You can also put up a strand of electric rope if you would rather.

horsecrazygirl13 06-01-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseymyhorserocks (Post 2677937)
Put flagging tape on the fence- it is cheap and makes it visible, although it doesn't look the best. You can get it in pretty colors though! I have... -cough cough-... 70+ rolls here from my dad (ex-forester).
Blue Flagging Tape S-6089BLU - Uline
High tensile wire tends to blend in into the surroundings a little bit. You can also put up a strand of electric rope if you would rather.

That looks like a good idea! It's cheaper than tape and I can electrify the wire instead. What color do horses see the best?

caseymyhorserocks 06-03-2013 12:12 AM

Whatever contrasts most with the background- white/yellow with trees for example.

Phly 06-03-2013 12:41 AM

We use hot pink, idk why. It's just always around.

Do know, horses will eat the tape off the fence if its not hot. We have to retape everytime we get a new horse. My gelding apperently thinks eating tape is fun, and it worries me to death. But appearently he's part goat and craps streamers.
Posted via Mobile Device

tim62988 06-06-2013 07:41 PM

if you want an easy way to tighten the wire:

Hardware :: FenceGard In-Line Daisy Wheel Strainer - Keystone Fence Supplies & Fencing

but those and then the handle, spin it untill the fence is tight and put the pin in on either side of the wire

also really like the pin-lock insulators so wires are easy to drop in the winter, or to get stuff in/out of the pasture since going around to the gate isnt always the handiest

waresbear 06-06-2013 07:46 PM

^^Yes that is the tighteners I meant, didn't know the proper name, you also have to a tool to stick in the holes to tighten it.