The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse lunging, leading and following. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-lunging-leading-following-204777/)

OliviaMyee 06-01-2013 09:36 PM

Horse lunging, leading and following.

Wont even reply to this post ill just read the replies.
So happy with my horse she is learning what whoa means :-) I love her too much !

She can turn when lunging,stop, walk trot and canter It will only get better. :-P

Foxhunter 06-02-2013 03:37 AM

Several things - the first is that you need to get into the arena and shovel the sand that has built up around the sides so the going is level and will drain.

Second thing is that the horse is not always sound on the left rein. More than once she was on the nod.

Thirdly, she is not moving forward, she is bored with being chased around the same old circle.

Finally there is no way that I would ever lead a horse as you are leading her, no control if anything should happen.

She is a nice enough mare and obviously you do love her but, you need to learn how to make training interesting for her so she enjoys it too.

Liken it to a teacher at school. f they keep repeating the same lesson day after day you would soon be bored.

SlideStop 06-02-2013 09:56 AM

I'd be more impressed if you didn't have to do 3x more work to get her to move. Lounging in all gates, whoa, and turn around aren't that impressive. Having an attentive horse who listens while the person stands in the center is.
Posted via Mobile Device

xxdanioo 06-02-2013 01:48 PM

You shouldn't have to chase her around. You should be able to stand in the center of the pen, keeping inline with her girth, and direct her from there. You are running after her and getting ahead of her. This would confuse most other horses. If I get too far ahead of my gelding he will stop.

loosie 06-03-2013 06:32 AM

This is your first go at lunging I suppose? If so I don't think you did too badly. But especially if this is also new for the horse, it would really pay for you to learn how to do it with an experienced horse, so you will learn what your bodylanguage is meant to elicit, &/or find someone experienced to teach & supervise you working with your horse, to reduce wrong behaviour/responses. Also starting out on line would make it easier for you to be effective & get it together with the horse. But all in all, a reasonable first effort.

Clarity, good timing & quitting pressuring the horse when she does as you ask are some keys to lunging. In most of the vid I wasn't sure what you were asking, so it's no surprise the horse didn't follow, was kind of dribbling to a stop, turning away from you, waiting for you to get big before making small responses.

Foxhunter, I'm guessing the leading at the end was just that she wanted the horse on film doing her own thing without the owner in it, like the loose in the paddock bits. Had to go back & look again for that head bob - I just took it as the horse giving a bit of attitude, but yes, it did seem to be the left rein all the time, so I'd be considering soundness too.

oh vair oh 06-03-2013 05:34 PM

Put the whip down. You keep it up and it's basically like keeping your foot on the gas pedal. The horse should have the responsibility to go when you ask and stop when you ask. So use the whip to back up your cue, but then put the whip down and use your directional hand instead. It'll make the whip "mean" something. The same goes for the way you constantly follow. Just more meaningless pressure. Try to wean yourself off by standing in the middle. You'll find out it's a lot more difficult. Always remember to give direction first before you go to the crop.

loosie 06-05-2013 11:40 PM

^^Have to ask, what's 'oh vair oh' mean?

SlideStop 06-05-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 2718818)
^^Have to ask, what's 'oh vair oh' mean?

I alway thought it ment overo.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 06-06-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxdanioo (Post 2682313)
You shouldn't have to chase her around. You should be able to stand in the center of the pen, keeping inline with her girth, and direct her from there. You are running after her and getting ahead of her. This would confuse most other horses. If I get too far ahead of my gelding he will stop.

while I agree that you need to take care not to get in front of the horse, it is not so unusual to "move" in a circle , a much smaller circle, that corresponds to the horse's circle, maintaining an even driving pressure. If the round pen is large, you might have a real challenge driving the horse around by merely standing smack in the center. I usually walk a very small circle when round penning, in part because I can match my body movement and energy to what ever I want the horse to do. a slow walk should get a slow walk out of the horse. speed it up and horse should , too.

definitely lower the whip unless needed. it should be in neutral except when giving some kind of cue.

you 're not doing too badly and your mare is very sweet. There are some good points here to add to what you are learning.

loosie 06-06-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 2718882)
I alway thought it ment overo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duh! Of course! All I could come up with is what I misheard the lyrics as for an Aussie Crawl song about Errol Flyn! My mind works in mysterious ways!