The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Bought my first trailer! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/bought-my-first-trailer-204945/)

Whisper22 06-02-2013 01:55 AM

Bought my first trailer!

2 Attachment(s)
I just bought my first trailer today! It's a 1982 Taylor, obviously a fixed upper, but anything else wasn't really an option. It is in working order, so I can work on it WHILE I use it, except the tires which I plan on replacing immediately. The floor and wiring were recently replaced, so at least that's done. So far the plan is to sand the crap out of it. As you can see there is a lot of rust and a couple very small cancerous spots in insignificant areas. Eventually a new coat of white paint. I also want to replace all the hardware with new shiny parts.

Any thoughts on anything you see is appreciated. I also have a question about windows. There are frames for windows on both sides, where I can only assume windows once were. What I really want to do is install more modern rounded sliding windows, like the ones on this website Window & Feed Doors. So the question is, how would I go about doing that. I do realize it will probably be a big job.

Pictures taken once I had the trailer home. Sorry, they were taken with my phone, so they're not the best.

Dustbunny 06-02-2013 01:55 PM

When you have the tires replaced make sure the bearings are good...and greased. And make sure you have a spare. I see there is a bracket on the side of the trailer for it. A Trailer-Aid is a good investment. Let's you roll up on it and change a tire without having to jack it up. A really good idea if you are on the highway with a horse and have a flat.
Those windows probably had plexiglas in them at one time. Having them open is not a bad thing especially if it's warm. Horses create a lot of heat in a trailer.
Replacing them would be a job. Just be sure you don't cut any support structure. I'm not sure you could install the windows you were talking about without having to do a lot of welding to keep the strength. Just an opinion from the wife of a guy who has done a lot of "trailer project" in the past. : )
Enjoy yours.

Phly 06-02-2013 02:08 PM

Nice lil wagon. Congrats!

I wouldn't be terribly concerned with the windows. You'll have em open most of the time anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevaux 06-02-2013 02:33 PM

Those window openings are in the style of my first trailer. I can't tell from the picture but is there a bit of a frame with tracks in the openings? If so, that's where the plexiglass goes and slides back and forth so they can be opened/closed up. Therefore the quick fix becomes cutting some plexiglass to size (two pieces per window), slipping them in place and your good to go.

Congrats on your purchase -- now you've got your own trailer, you'll wonder how you ever managed without one.

michaelvanessa 06-02-2013 03:28 PM

trailer

hiya its a nice trailer and its a step in the direction to go with your horses to explore or show further afeild.
also its a good prodject as well you can make it a trailer you want.
congratulations on your perchase.

waresbear 06-02-2013 09:28 PM

Where is your first trip going to be?

nvr2many 06-02-2013 09:37 PM

Yay! Congrats!

Whisper22 06-02-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustbunny (Post 2682337)
When you have the tires replaced make sure the bearings are good...and greased. And make sure you have a spare. I see there is a bracket on the side of the trailer for it. A Trailer-Aid is a good investment. Let's you roll up on it and change a tire without having to jack it up. A really good idea if you are on the highway with a horse and have a flat.
Those windows probably had plexiglas in them at one time. Having them open is not a bad thing especially if it's warm. Horses create a lot of heat in a trailer.
Replacing them would be a job. Just be sure you don't cut any support structure. I'm not sure you could install the windows you were talking about without having to do a lot of welding to keep the strength. Just an opinion from the wife of a guy who has done a lot of "trailer project" in the past. : )
Enjoy yours.

Thanks for the advice. The bearings were also on my list to repack right away. I'll look into a Trailer-Aid, sounds like a good thing to have.
Your probably right about the windows, I just thought it would look nice. I actually did discover a way to fit rounded windows in square spaces, but I'm having a hard time finding windows that are only about 10" wide. I actually came across this trailer on horsetrailerworld.com. It's also a Taylor but it's a '91, I love what they did with it, I can only hope mine looks that nice when I'm done, without my fancy windows *pout*.
Horse Trailer World - Huge Selection of Horse Trailers, Cargo, Trucks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2682473)
Nice lil wagon. Congrats!

I wouldn't be terribly concerned with the windows. You'll have em open most of the time anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're right. After all, I do live in AZ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevaux (Post 2682649)
Those window openings are in the style of my first trailer. I can't tell from the picture but is there a bit of a frame with tracks in the openings? If so, that's where the plexiglass goes and slides back and forth so they can be opened/closed up. Therefore the quick fix becomes cutting some plexiglass to size (two pieces per window), slipping them in place and your good to go.

Congrats on your purchase -- now you've got your own trailer, you'll wonder how you ever managed without one.

There is a frame and a track, the track is bent in a couple places. I'm thinking I'll just remove it though.

I am so excited I will never have to rely on anyone again to move my horses. I can finally bring them to the vet, instead of paying for a farm call.

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelvanessa (Post 2683169)
hiya its a nice trailer and its a step in the direction to go with your horses to explore or show further afeild.
also its a good prodject as well you can make it a trailer you want.
congratulations on your perchase.

Thanks so much. I really do look forward to working on it, if only it wasn't 108 today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2686473)
Where is your first trip going to be?

I'll probably drive it around a little first to get used to pulling it. I've never pulled any kind of trailer before. I have about 3 months before my daughter starts 4-H. If I finish painting and putting the new hardware on before then, I might take a trip to the river. I've always wanted to catch a glimpse of the Salt River Wild Horses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvr2many (Post 2686553)
Yay! Congrats!

Thanks!

Phly 06-02-2013 10:48 PM

As for the "trailer aid", you can make one in less then a half hour for around $10, if you had to buy the wood and nails....
Posted via Mobile Device

Whisper22 06-02-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2687361)
As for the "trailer aid", you can make one in less then a half hour for around $10, if you had to buy the wood and nails....
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, I'll keep that in mind.