The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   best supplement to put weight on 19 yr old mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/best-supplement-put-weight-19-yr-205/)

t_raisner 01-01-2007 11:56 AM

best supplement to put weight on 19 yr old mare

I have a 19 yr old mare who needs to gain weight on her back and butt. She has plenty of weight everywhere else. We have tried a couple of different supplements that haven't done much for her. What should we try for her?

Gammelquarterhorses 01-01-2007 12:39 PM

There are many but a safe choice would be the platforn weight supplement. Its a high fat formula that adds extra calories but without the risk of colic if fed with grain.....

kristy 01-02-2007 09:20 AM

Is she being exercised at all? Sounds like lack of muscle.

t_raisner 01-02-2007 09:37 PM

We had just bought her in late September and that is how she looked then. Since then we have fed her 2x daily with grain and they get an alfalfa/grass mix hay. She of course is the slowest eater and easy to push around, so she doesn't always get alot of hay. We have just started (Tues.) adding oil to her feed, so we'll see how that goes and let you all know if it works! Thanks!

kristy 01-03-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_raisner
We had just bought her in late September and that is how she looked then. Since then we have fed her 2x daily with grain and they get an alfalfa/grass mix hay. She of course is the slowest eater and easy to push around, so she doesn't always get alot of hay. We have just started (Tues.) adding oil to her feed, so we'll see how that goes and let you all know if it works! Thanks!

Perhaps you could seperate her to allow her to eat her share?

Izzyappaloosa 03-13-2007 08:45 AM

i have a problem similiar to yours.But instead i just got a 22 year old arthiritic mare that definately needs help on herleg and putting on weight.We have a mineral block we gave to her(which reminds me is it healthy for a horse to eat half a block in 1 1/2 days?)just wonderin.also i just ordered some gluclosamine for her leg which cocks to the side when she stands and walks.just one leg though.we bought senior horse feed,wormer,the gluclosamine,and a block that you cant chew but have to lick.Please tell me some ideas of how to help her gain weight and helping her walk better and hopefully getting her good enough for at least a light rider.

just wanted to let you know that your not the only one out there :D

futolympeventer327 03-13-2007 10:27 PM

I agree with kristy it sounds like lack of muscle she needs proper excercise not supplements

savepitbulls 03-14-2007 12:44 PM

Can you see her ribs? How does the rest of her body look? It could be lack of muscle, in which case supplements aren't really going to help, they will just make her fat and she will still lack muscling over her topline. If she is underweight though, then there are many supplements out there. I love to use corn oil personally, but it depeneds on what works best for you and your horse.

ktmott 03-14-2007 02:33 PM

try her on a feed called 16 +, it coms in cubes or mix, is basically for older horses and helps them keep their condition