The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Not sure if my mare is pregnant (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/not-sure-if-my-mare-pregnant-205233/)

Serenity 06-02-2013 03:10 PM

Not sure if my mare is pregnant

My mare is in heat and got into the stallions paddock. No one was home while she was in there so I'm not sure if he got her or if he did, how many times. Is there anyway I can tell before the next time she comes into heat? If she is pregnant any vitamins or supplements I should put her on?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 06-02-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity (Post 2683025)
My mare is in heat and got into the stallions paddock. No one was home while she was in there so I'm not sure if he got her or if he did, how many times. Is there anyway I can tell before the next time she comes into heat? If she is pregnant any vitamins or supplements I should put her on?

Talking from experience, that's all it takes, just get the 2 together, they'll take care of the rest. If you know the exact date she was in with him, or dates, go approximately 17 - 21 days out from that date and have her palpated and ultrasounded to find out if she's pregnant. If you reallllllly don't want her pregnant, she probably is. The earlier you get her checked, (you can even have her checked at 14 or 15 days but that's not as fool proof) the easier it is to terminate the pregnancy if she's pregnant. Call your vet tomorrow, he might be willing to give a shot or just flush her at some point without knowing she's pregnant, kind of a "just in case" kind of thing. You'll still need to check her to be sure though.

Feed, vitamins, and all that, don't change much until the 2nd trimester when she starts to lactate and the foal puts on the last growth spurt. I keep an eye on my mares to make sure no one loses a bunch of weight once they're pregnant, and I just keep them in good flesh and I give a daily vitamin anyhow. A good, daily multivitamin would be all she'd need.

If you decide to go through with the pregnancy (if she's in foal) then ask your vet about how selenium deficient, or not, your area is. Here, I give a Magnesium, E and Selenium supplement because we're known to be pretty much ZERO for Selenium.

Serenity 06-02-2013 03:28 PM

If she's pregnant I'm deffinently going through with her pregnancy. I'll call a vet out. I have her on a daily vitamin already so I'll keep giving that to her. She was with the stallion May 31st, if he did get her do you know approximately when she's due. I've never had a pregnant mare. My aunts always had the foals. Also, I heard they need to eat more then usual.. Is that true? Sorry for asking so much i just want an easy pregnancy for my mare.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 06-02-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity (Post 2683161)
If she's pregnant I'm deffinently going through with her pregnancy. I'll call a vet out. I have her on a daily vitamin already so I'll keep giving that to her. She was with the stallion May 31st, if he did get her do you know approximately when she's due. I've never had a pregnant mare. My aunts always had the foals. Also, I heard they need to eat more then usual.. Is that true? Sorry for asking so much i just want an easy pregnancy for my mare.

That's ok, no problem at all with all the questions you want to ask. Let me correct something, I typed 2nd trimester in my first response and that's not correct. At the beginning of the 3rd trimester is when I start really increasing the feed. At any time, if she starts to look like she's dropping weight, you can up the amount of food you're feeding her. But she really shouldn't have too much demand on her body until the beginning of her last trimester.

She'd be "due" roughly May 6 - 11, if you go for somewhere between 340 and 345 days. She could go more or less depending on her. Has she ever had a foal that you know of?

Serenity 06-02-2013 11:26 PM

I've only had for about 8-9 months. Her last owners starved her and the other horse she was with and abused drugs and alcohol so they know nothing about my mare. I think she has had another foal because her nipples sag down as if she's had milk in them. Is there any other way I can tell if she's had another foal?

NBEventer 06-02-2013 11:34 PM

Okay I am going to be the one to step up and ask WHY would you keep her pregnant? It sounds like she was a rescue? You don't know anything about her history. Is she registered? Is she bred to a stallion that would have this foal eligible for a registry?

Sorry but with so many unwanted horses out there I do not support an "oops" foal from an unregistered mare and stallion that do not compliment each other.

Serenity 06-02-2013 11:44 PM

I'm not going to kill a baby horse and why does my horse have to be registered? The stallion is registered, I already know that and why can't I breed a rescue?

Serenity 06-02-2013 11:48 PM

She doesn't really have a history. She was left in a pasture to fend for herself. I trained her and everything. I did all the work with her, her past owners left her. I don't get what's so wrong with her breeding. And I didn't purposely breed her, fyi. She got through the fence when no one was home.

waresbear 06-02-2013 11:54 PM

The reason many are against an accidental breeding is because of what happened to your horse before you got, neglected. To give a horse the best start in life, you plan it, study bloodlines, and hopefully end up with a horse that is valuable will be wanted. An unregistered foal of unknown lineage is more likely to end up starved, or in a kill pen if something happens to you and you can't keep horses any longer. Also another unplanned foal in the world takes up space that could be for a rescue already on this earth. However, it's your horse, your choice.

Serenity 06-03-2013 12:07 AM

I'm keeping the foal and I find it kinda rude that you think unregistered foals are unwanted. Who cares if it's not purebred? If someone really loved horses the breed or whether it's purebred or not shouldn't matter. And there are tons of registered/purebred horses that are neglected. Just because it's unplanned does not mean I am going to kill this foal because of it not being registered or purebred. The stallion has great bloodline and we have a beautiful healthy foal from him right now. I'm really offended by how your going about my mare being pregnant with a mixed breed..