The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Equine First Aid 101 (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/equine-first-aid-101-a-20524/)

shmurmer4 01-09-2009 11:18 AM

Equine First Aid 101

Have any of you taken this class or some form of it?
I've seen it at the local Jr Colleges and it is open to people of all ages and such.

I think it would be definitely an ideal core class for beginner riders..

so, Have you taken it? If so did you enjoy it?

If you haven't taken it, would you like to?

Vidaloco 01-09-2009 11:36 AM

I would love to take a class like that. I have a friend who is giving horsey classes at the local jr. college. I need to suggest that one to her.
Do they have a vet give it or a vet tech?

shmurmer4 01-09-2009 11:59 AM

Whom ever trains the vet techs I suppose, either or as long as they're qualified.

G and K's Mom 01-09-2009 03:22 PM

Went to one years ago given by a local vet. Loved it !! The college it was held at does the farrier course, so the instructors wife brought one of her horse's in for us to practice on as there was lots of room and they were set up for horse's.

At one point this poor horse and two front leg wraps, two hock spider type bandages and two hoofs wrapped. Poor guy was afraid to move an inch.

Vidaloco 01-09-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G and K's Mom (Post 226239)
Went to one years ago given by a local vet. Loved it !! The college it was held at does the farrier course, so the instructors wife brought one of her horse's in for us to practice on as there was lots of room and they were set up for horse's.

At one point this poor horse and two front leg wraps, two hock spider type bandages and two hoofs wrapped. Poor guy was afraid to move an inch.

That would have made a great picture :lol:

wanderlust 01-09-2009 09:08 PM

I'm looking into taking courses along these lines. I think it is really important for horse owners.

LoveMyFinny 01-09-2009 09:46 PM

I haven't taken a class like that, nor do I need to, I already know pretty much everything that would be covered.

I do think it is a great idea because so many people do not know what to do in emergency situations, or for simple illnesses/wounds that most horse people take care of on their own. It would be a lot less stressfull in these situations if they had a basic knowledge.

minihorse927 01-10-2009 12:43 AM

When I was in highschool, I went to the local vocational school and took a 2 year equine science program. They messed with standardbred race horses, but we learned everything from basic care to wound/disease treatment, to starting horses, to actually racing and beyond! That was the best class any beginner could have ever taken. Thanks to those classes, I very rarely have to have the vet out for any reason unless it is a severe colic or something that needs major medical attention.