The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   halter horse??? I got nothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/halter-horse-i-got-nothing-205561/)

Phly 06-03-2013 01:18 AM

halter horse??? I got nothing

What's involved with showing a halter horse?

Is it horse? Or pattern? Or presentation? Or???
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 06-03-2013 01:20 AM

You'll need a halter......

That's all I know:wink:

Phly 06-03-2013 01:25 AM

Lmao!!!! Well we are on the same level!
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 06-03-2013 01:36 AM

Halter is a beauty contest. Lots of muscle, shine and straightness. The horse does have to be presented perfectly, meaning set up square so the judge can look at it like a picture, so if the horse is moving around, they can't judge it, the handler is a part of the picture as well, not a big part, but it counts as well.

Delfina 06-03-2013 01:40 AM

Morgans park out!

My halter horse washout STILL parks out occasionally. I think that's about all they taught him though....

Phly 06-03-2013 01:46 AM

So it's more horse then presentation? I ask because I don't know.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 06-03-2013 01:47 AM

It's both, can't have one without the other.

Phly 06-03-2013 01:56 AM

Ok, I've been asked to borrow my gelding to a girl who wants to show him halter.

He squares nice, and almost naturally. Could be lead by a chicken most of the time. And is tall, but not super muscled.

She'd like to show him 4h. Her grandpa aperrently knows the shows, which I don't doubt, but I've seen there horses. And can see why mine would be a better choice.

I'd never let them take him home, but if they feel he's worthy, I'd be willing to let em try him. Here obviously, and under my watch.

I just know nothing about halter class.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 06-03-2013 02:06 AM

Are you sure it's halter or maybe it's showmanship? That is different, doesn't matter how the horse is put together (although it doesn't hurt to have an attractive horse), there is a pattern to follow, and the handler is judged on how well they show the horse to the judge. There is a quarter system when the judge is presenting the horse and the judge may ask the handler a horse related question. Technically you could take a range colt, groom him to the nines, teach him to square up, trot with a handler, pivot, back, etc and win.

Phly 06-03-2013 02:14 AM

Well they keep calling it halter, as I mentioned, I couldn't tell halter from showmanship.
I don't disrespect either, I just don't know them.
Posted via Mobile Device