The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Race Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/race-horse-training-20557/)

StormyBlues 01-09-2009 09:08 PM

Race Horse Training

hey, just wondering if anyone here has trained a race horse? We will have a foal droped in 4 weeks and I get to train it! We are training it for TB probably long distance racing. his daddy was a long distance racer.

LoveMyFinny 01-09-2009 09:39 PM

From what I know, they get just a very basic 30 day undersaddle and gate training, then get started on the track. Once you get to that point, there is not much involved with training from the rider, just the trainer telling the exercise rider what to do. I am supposed to get my first one this year, I will be doing everything but the gate work. He will go off to the track trainer for about 30 days and come back to me to continue exercising/conditioning him with his owner. I will let you know how it goes, you still have a couple years. I would also advise going to the track, trying to talk to some of the nicer trainers, and definitely exercise riders and just take it from there.

StormyBlues 01-09-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveMyFinny (Post 226563)
From what I know, they get just a very basic 30 day undersaddle and gate training, then get started on the track. Once you get to that point, there is not much involved with training from the rider, just the trainer telling the exercise rider what to do. I am supposed to get my first one this year, I will be doing everything but the gate work. He will go off to the track trainer for about 30 days and come back to me to continue exercising/conditioning him with his owner. I will let you know how it goes, you still have a couple years. I would also advise going to the track, trying to talk to some of the nicer trainers, and definitely exercise riders and just take it from there.

I will probably do as much gate training as I can. We already have racehorses so, it will be easy to call up the trainer if needed. I practically grew up on the track, and to tell you the truth, i think I could train a horse better than some of the trainers out there. our old trainer said that I probably knew more about horses than him

Jdun722 01-11-2009 08:53 AM

Just let it be a horse for a while, when people do begin riding it, take it for gallops through fields and forests, wherever possible thats not in a circle round and round track because it will make it so much easier for them when they begin on the track because the surface is more level and they will want to run if they enjoy it and you can notice that out on the trails because the differences in the sceneary make it more interesting for the horse.

A lot of groundwork on the leadline, lungeline, and longline will make the horse much easier to control while getting ready for the race before the jockey mounts up.

In all honesty, I think racing horses at such a young age is a mistake, I used to help care for a tb that was one of my mom's friends, and she was always getting injured on the track, from one day's lameness to the next month's injured fetlock. It just all seemed to connect to that her bones hadn't had time to mature. I think it would be best if you started out a year later then most tb's, if that is possible for you. I know some people cannot do that because of training troubles and not being able to find a trainer to work with a horse that isn't going to race at a really early age, but it will be so much better and healthier for the horse. Think of it this way, would you want 2 years of fame an then a horse that's lame for the rest of his life? or a year of fame and a whole life ahead of him.

zanytactics 01-11-2009 11:20 AM

Let the baby be a baby for 2 years in a pasture. While doing lots of ground work. I know it's not the race track way to start them older but you'll have a sounder horse if you wait till atleast 3.

I have re-trained a few race horses and they make great pleasure horses, if they haven't been damaged phiscally on the track.

Spyder 01-11-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 226569)
I will probably do as much gate training as I can. We already have racehorses so, it will be easy to call up the trainer if needed. I practically grew up on the track, and to tell you the truth, i think I could train a horse better than some of the trainers out there. our old trainer said that I probably knew more about horses than him

Curious ?

If you have a trainer, grew up around the track and can train better than some of the trainers out there what sort of information are you trying to recieve from us?

StormyBlues 01-11-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdun722 (Post 227401)
Just let it be a horse for a while, when people do begin riding it, take it for gallops through fields and forests, wherever possible thats not in a circle round and round track because it will make it so much easier for them when they begin on the track because the surface is more level and they will want to run if they enjoy it and you can notice that out on the trails because the differences in the sceneary make it more interesting for the horse.

A lot of groundwork on the leadline, lungeline, and longline will make the horse much easier to control while getting ready for the race before the jockey mounts up.

In all honesty, I think racing horses at such a young age is a mistake, I used to help care for a tb that was one of my mom's friends, and she was always getting injured on the track, from one day's lameness to the next month's injured fetlock. It just all seemed to connect to that her bones hadn't had time to mature. I think it would be best if you started out a year later then most tb's, if that is possible for you. I know some people cannot do that because of training troubles and not being able to find a trainer to work with a horse that isn't going to race at a really early age, but it will be so much better and healthier for the horse. Think of it this way, would you want 2 years of fame an then a horse that's lame for the rest of his life? or a year of fame and a whole life ahead of him.

I plan on starting backing it at the age of 2. and racing it probably 2 and 3/4 years old. it needs alot of experiance because we have EXTREMLY high hopes for this foal.

StormyBlues 01-11-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 227474)
Curious ?

If you have a trainer, grew up around the track and can train better than some of the trainers out there what sort of information are you trying to recieve from us?

Just want to see everyone's opinions. Just seeing what everyone thinks.

Jdun722 01-11-2009 03:10 PM

You can get a lot of the experience part done at home, not necesarily at the track, and if you have high hopes just enter him in important 3 year old races, you could have a won a hundred average races, but it won't amount to 2 or 3 important races, i think you should wait until he is 3 to begin him on the track.

StormyBlues 01-11-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdun722 (Post 227619)
You can get a lot of the experience part done at home, not necesarily at the track, and if you have high hopes just enter him in important 3 year old races, you could have a won a hundred average races, but it won't amount to 2 or 3 important races, i think you should wait until he is 3 to begin him on the track.

Yes, but the experiance is always a good thing to have. It will all depend on what the trainer thinks its capable of and what I think it can do.