The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   End horse slaughter in Canada (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/end-horse-slaughter-canada-205778/)

SeemsLegit 06-03-2013 12:23 PM

End horse slaughter in Canada

I'm Canadian and, though I love my country, there is one thing I am disgusted by; horse slaughter. I've been searching for ways I could help, and came across this petition. Only 284 votes are needed still (supposedly), so I figured I might as well post this in a horse-oriented community in hopes to get the word out. Whether you're from here or not doesn't matter; if this could happen and be successful, I know thousands of lives would be saved.

CLICK HERE. Thank you!

Island Horselover 06-03-2013 12:26 PM

So are you going to take those "thousends of saved horses" in and provide them with a good home?

Shropshirerosie 06-03-2013 12:29 PM

I will never sign a petition that seeks to stop legal slaughter. What I WOULD sign is a petition seeking to control breeding of horses, dogs and cats in order to prevent the growing problem of too many animals- not enough good homes.

Golden Horse 06-03-2013 12:43 PM

I wont sign either, I have not got the room or finances to adopt all the horses that would get dumped.

You want to end slaughter, then as Rosie says work from the other end, reduce the amount of horses being produced.

BarrelracingArabian 06-03-2013 12:47 PM

I agree with others I won't try and stop legal slaughter considering there is no way I can take in all those horses. I would support the breeding control and harsher punishments for animal abuse. Sorry.

Joe4d 06-03-2013 12:57 PM

yeh so lets take all these horse to the bleeding hearts houses and drop em off.
And so what if they are good animals. WHo the heck are you to tell one person what they can and cant do with their own animals ? I wouldnt eat my horse unless times were tough, for that matter I dont eat my own chickens as they are basically pets. But I'm not so arrogant that I would tell somebody else what they can or cant do. What's the difference between me eating a horse I raised and my neighbors frying chicken ? Or koreans eating dogs ? They are all animals, different cultures value different animals differently, who died and left you to decide that animal A is ok to eat yet animal B isnt ?

Hate to break it to you but horse makes a fine meal, and has been part of human diet for a long long time. for thousands of years only way to really preserve meat was to keep it alive. And what better way to have meat for a journey than to have some meat that will follow along behind you and you dont have to carry ? People rode mares, stallions lived in the town, fillys were trained, colts got to follow the wagon train until there time was up.

Foxhunter 06-03-2013 01:03 PM

I am not at all against horse slaughter nor for horses going into the feed chain
What I am against is
1. Horses travelling for hours and hours without feed or water.
2. Horses being held in large pens with no feed, water or shelter.
3. Horses not being slaughtered humanely.

In the UK horses do enter the food chain but there are laws on how it is done and these are adhered to.
1. No horse may be slaughtered in sight of another.
2. A vet has to be present.

If I was in the USA or Canada I would be fighting not to ban slaughter but to make it more humane.

Golden Horse 06-03-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhunter (Post 2692730)
I am not at all against horse slaughter nor for horses going into the feed chain
What I am against is
1. Horses travelling for hours and hours without feed or water.
2. Horses being held in large pens with no feed, water or shelter.
3. Horses not being slaughtered humanely.

In the UK horses do enter the food chain but there are laws on how it is done and these are adhered to.
1. No horse may be slaughtered in sight of another.
2. A vet has to be present.

If I was in the USA or Canada I would be fighting not to ban slaughter but to make it more humane.

YES, this exactly

Gremmy 06-03-2013 01:23 PM

As a Canadian I am proud that my country has the good sense to not shut down a profitable industry that brings money into our economy, provides jobs for Canadians, and gives a merciful end to many unfortunate horses - many of whom had to travel thousands of miles due to the lack of slaughter facilities in the US.

FlipFlopTipTop 06-03-2013 01:35 PM

I couldnt agree with Foxhunter more.
I found out recently there are horses being shipped out of my city's airport for slaughter. started a big argument with the horse community here. Not mainly because they were being shipped for meat, most of us here accept slaughter by now because we understand what issues there would be without it. We were upset because they were young foals being shipped to Japan and it wasnt being regulated. The horses were put into shipping crates that didnt meet regulations. They were being overcrowded. Once in Japan they would just sit in a pen till they were fat and then sold mostly as Sashimi. Some people didnt believe me when I first went public about it on my facebook. They couldnt believe someone one pay for a horse to be flown overseas. but really, they buy the horse for a couple hundred, pay the shipping fees and then once its slaughtered its worth around $20,000 Canadian. They way they treat them during the transport and slaughter process is what bothers me, not the fact that they are being a meal for a person. These poor horses are crowded into shipping containers that dont even give them enough head room and space to turn around meanwhile the trip is a minimum of 24 hours and they have no food or water the entire time.

This doesnt only happen at the Winnipeg airport, I bet it goes on at every single large airport. I know for sure it does in Calgary as thats is where most of the video footage is from.

If you want to try to change something, gather up some protestors and go down to the airports voicing your opinions. Instead of ignoring that cute little crossbred foal, inform the people by an email what they have done by bringing another foal into the world without major reason. Same goes if you see a stallion listed for stud who is crossbred, has bad breeding or who has not proven himself at all in anything.
That is where you start to end slaughter, not by just hoping it goes away. Currently without it, Im sure there would be 100,000s of horses neglected and abused left without food and water on a regular basis. Remember how hard of a year this past one was with the hay shortage?? Well think of how hard it would have been to be feeding a few extra 1000 horses...