The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Conditioning Suede (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/conditioning-suede-20582/)

~*~anebel~*~ 01-10-2009 11:15 AM

Conditioning Suede

I've just finished perking up one of my saddles with leather CPR (my love <3) and now the suede looks gross and dry. Just wondering how I should go about conditioning it. (leather CPR shouldn't be used on suede).
I have Passier Lederbalsam which has no warning on the label about suede, but I'm still hesitant. And I have just plain neatsfoot oil.
This saddle usually gets cleaned with saddle soap every time I use it, about once a week or two.
Help?

~*~anebel~*~ 01-10-2009 08:41 PM

Bump :'(

Moxie 01-10-2009 08:47 PM

I was wondering about Suede also. I dont have any suede on my saddle, but I have pink suede on the bottom of my Coach purse, and it gets pretty dirty, as I love to use that bag.

I was hoping to implement some ideas here to the cleaning of my bag. lol

Vidaloco 01-10-2009 08:49 PM

The most I have ever done to my suede seat is give it a good brushing with a fairly stiff brush then use a damp almost dry cloth to clean any dirt off then brush it again. I'm not sure I would do more than that.

Vidaloco 01-10-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moxie (Post 227183)
I was wondering about Suede also. I dont have any suede on my saddle, but I have pink suede on the bottom of my Coach purse, and it gets pretty dirty, as I love to use that bag.

I was hoping to implement some ideas here to the cleaning of my bag. lol

You should check our dry cleaners that do leather. I wouldn't want to mess it up.

ohmyitschelle 01-10-2009 11:33 PM

My friend has an Wintec Isabell Werth saddle which is suede... I asked her what she cleans it with as I'm getting one myself, and I was her groom for at the Royal Show last year here in New Zealand... she said that a damp cloth and firm strokes not only cleans but conditions the suede. I have no idea how you'd clean stained parts, but it worked just fine wiping her saddle down.
x

Strange 01-10-2009 11:36 PM

I have a Wintec Pro Jumper that's got suede on it, and I know Wintec makes a special cleaning product for their synthetic saddles that you can also use on suede. You just spray it on and use a clean, stiff brush to get most of the dirt off, then spray it again and wipe it down with a clean cloth and lukewarm water,

Moxie 01-11-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 227187)
You should check our dry cleaners that do leather. I wouldn't want to mess it up.

I went to the nearest Coach dealer and they said that most dry cleaners wont even touch their products for fear of tainting them, so I havent even tried the dry cleaners. I suppose I could give it a shot when I take my down comforter in.

iridehorses 01-11-2009 09:11 AM

For real stains, the only thing to do is to go to a professional. For just regular dirt or to spruce it up, use a brass bristle brush and a "soap eraser". You can get one at an office supply store - they are usually cube shape and tan in color. They are very crumbly.

~*~anebel~*~ 01-12-2009 09:10 AM

It's not dirty it's just really dry looking. Thanks for the suggestions!