The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Roping (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/)
-   -   used ropes (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/used-ropes-205962/)

toto 06-03-2013 04:20 PM

used ropes

Whats everyones thoughts on buyin used ropes?

I bought one just because it was 12 bucks and i couldnt pass it up when the same brand rope was 40-50 bucks- its just for practice ropin our new 'franken dummy' lol. :-P

I havent roped in a few years but i noticed that with this rope it seems like it just kinks up all wrong- i cant even swing it. I dont remember bein this awful at it, lol. It is a heel rope and i noticed i can really get the 'franken dummy' around the horns better with my left than my right hand for some reason (im right handed) and was wonderin if maybe it was used by a leftie? (my logical excuse) or am i just a natural heeler? Lol.

Would you even bother with a used rope? Any tips for me with a used rope? Should i treat it as if it was new?

Roperchick 06-03-2013 04:37 PM

Used ropes?? Not so much for me. I just cycle through get a new rope, use that for competition then use my old competition rope for practice toll it gives out and then repeat the process

COWCHICK77 06-03-2013 04:40 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I don't buy used ropes because I figure that someone got rid of it for a reason.

If mine get a little funky I leave them alone for awhile and leave them out in the weather.

Roperchick 06-03-2013 04:46 PM

I didn't even see hat last part.

What cowchick said for used ropes. Leave em out for awhile work it around, wax it a little, then leave it out some more is my usual procedure

COWCHICK77 06-03-2013 04:48 PM

50 Attachment(s)
Oh I remember you telling me about waxing them last year! I keep forgetting to try that.

boots 06-03-2013 05:49 PM

Re-stretch it.

I usually keep a few around, not for my go-to rope, but if people come and want to try, or if we have to snub something, help an animal out of a bog. Things like that.

toto 06-03-2013 06:03 PM

Thanks yall! :thumbsup:

I figured someone got rid of it because it was probably no good.. me and my compulsiveness! :lol:

toto 06-03-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boots (Post 2695786)
Re-stretch it.

I usually keep a few around, not for my go-to rope, but if people come and want to try, or if we have to snub something, help an animal out of a bog. Things like that.

thanks.

I was thinkin about doin that- it seems like its too hard even for a med hard rope.. im not gonna compete with it just play around- maybe rope the dogs and the dh, lol. :-P

ropinbiker 06-03-2013 06:14 PM

a med/hard heel rope is pretty stiff...it is very hard to head with a mh, there is a reason that about 50% of the pros use a XS and most of the other 40% use a S; the rest use either a xxs or a med/soft....

If it has a bad "kink" as you said, run the rope back through the hondo, that usually will take out some of the curl; then, I would stretch it(as said earlier) and then coil it up in 13-14" coils and then put it in a bag and leave inside a barn or trailer outside...take it out in a day or so and see how that helps

toto 06-03-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ropinbiker (Post 2696018)
a med/hard heel rope is pretty stiff...it is very hard to head with a mh, there is a reason that about 50% of the pros use a XS and most of the other 40% use a S; the rest use either a xxs or a med/soft....

If it has a bad "kink" as you said, run the rope back through the hondo, that usually will take out some of the curl; then, I would stretch it(as said earlier) and then coil it up in 13-14" coils and then put it in a bag and leave inside a barn or trailer outside...take it out in a day or so and see how that helps

Yeah- i just got it to mess around with since they had no head ropes that were used. :-( its probably junk anyway, lol.

I did that and stretched it on the poll before i worked the stretched area--the rope looks like it was stretched from being dalleyd tight- it come out a little but the rope just feelsl like it dont wanna coil up right in my hands.. suppose cause its so firm?

thank-you! And will a grocery store bag work or should i use a rope bag?