The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Paddock or stable? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/paddock-stable-20606/)

Andi 01-10-2009 08:08 PM

Paddock or stable?

I wonder what peoples opinion is one which is the best to keep horses in, a paddock, or a situation where horses go in a stable at night and a paddock in the day.

Here in Australia there are lots of people who keep their horses solely in paddocks, but also many who use stables. I was wondering what people prefer most and why.

My girl is currently in a paddock thats about five or so acres with about 4 other mares and its had good trees and reasonable feed. When I came to this agistment place I was looking for a stable and am now on the waiting list for one.

One person has said they are looking to rent out a stable for three months as their horse is spelling. But now I am not so sure if I should stable her. One of the two paddocks for the stable has few trees and never any feed with about 10 horses in there, the other paddock is better but neither are as good as the one she is in right now.

Its summer right now, which is pretty hot, so what would people do in this circumstance, she seems very happy in her paddock and comes everytime i call her.

Cat 01-10-2009 08:19 PM

My horses are outside 24/7 with a shelter they can go under if it rains. If they are stalled they tend to get more pent-up energy.

I do have one stalled right now with some turn-out during the day that we are putting weight on and his excess energy is through the roof.

Joshie 01-10-2009 08:53 PM

Our horse is in a dry lot with access to a barn. The horses rarely, if ever, go into the barn, even in horrible weather.

farmpony84 01-10-2009 09:06 PM

mine are in a dry lot w/ access to the barn. I leave 3 out 24/7 and I bring 3 in at night. (I bring the 3 in at night because I need to seperate them to feed - they eat "special").

county 01-10-2009 09:42 PM

I'm a huge beleiver in horses living outside 24/7 on the largest tract of land possable. Even our show horses live outside sometimes if we have to leave real early in the morning I'll put them in a stall the night before but other wise they stay outside.

Moxie 01-10-2009 09:59 PM

WHEN I do buy, board, and then eventually get my place horse friendly, my horses will be outside 24/7 with of course access to a shelter, if not barn. I would however like to have a few stalls in case of emergencies or what have you.

centrestableswendy 01-10-2009 10:56 PM

The horse I lease is turned out at 8am and brought in to her stall around 5pm every day, weather permitting. She gets mad if she's left out much longer than that.

1dog3cats17rodents 01-11-2009 12:20 AM

My horse gets turned out in a pasture (not a paddock) everday. That way he is handled regulary, his health can be checked, his feet cleaned if need be, and his blankets can be changed according to weather. All horses get there portion of grain/meds without fear the others will steal it, and behaviors (limping, pawing, circling, laying down) can be easily noted.

PoptartShop 01-11-2009 03:37 AM

At my barn they use the combined system; half barn half pasture. ;) I like that the most. However, I think pasture is best because if a horse is cooped up in a stall 24/7 he might develop behavioral problems, or just be bored! Horses like to roam & frolic, so I wouldn't want my horse in a stall for 24/7. However, it does depend on the situation. Some horses do better stalled. :D & yeah, the pastures always have optional shelter if the horses want to shield away from the rain, snow, etc.

So, I think as a whole, the paddock is best.

My2Geldings 01-11-2009 10:15 AM

My guy is out to pasture 24/7 and only comes in when I work with him :-)