The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Full Seat breeches / Knee Patch? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/full-seat-breeches-knee-patch-206218/)

hunterjumper1998 06-03-2013 08:45 PM

Full Seat breeches / Knee Patch?

I know a lot of dressage riders use full seat, but I ride a very... um, fussy Haflinger in hunters and flat classes. She is very green and I had a lesson today that would make me seem like an extreme beginner on a hot horse for someone who doesn't't know our situation. She was running sideways, tossing her head, threatening to rear, you get the picture. I have developed a great seat, but was just wondering if full-seaters would give me better grip with her. She is very short strides and bumpy at the canter and I know my seat must look awful! Would these breeches be acceptable in smaller hunter and equitation schooling shows, some jumpers, and pleasure/hunter flat classes at flat shows (even though she doesn't perform like a pleasure)? And do they really help? Thank you!
Also any recommended low-priced brands or anything to steer clear of?
Thanks! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

NBEventer 06-03-2013 08:53 PM

Full seats are not the "traditional" look. However if you are only dong schooling shows and jumpers then they are okay. You might stick out like a sore thumb at some points, but from the sounds of things the least of your worries would be the breeches lol.

I find full seats can help. I know they keep me glued to my cranky mare when she is having mare tantrums and I ride in an eventing saddle with "grippy leather" so I feel nicely glued in which has come in handy more then once. But you will get people who say full seats are no different then regular breeches. It all comes down to what is comfortable and works for you.

If you find yourself becoming more competitive and out for ribbons in the hunter ring and bumping up from schooling level, you will want the traditional proper attire.

hunterjumper1998 06-03-2013 09:20 PM

Wow, so quickly;)
Thanks! I just wanted another opinion as I am sort of in the market for new breeches and also wanted to know if they would be OK for what I am doing. Yep, she is a handful! I could have punched her today, but I didn't and we were safe, if you would call it that! My saddle is a Bates Next Generation Elevation Deep Seat (mouthful of a name) with the calf blocks in the back that don't really make a difference, but it has the "plus" covered leather that makes it grippier and more secure than any other English saddle I have ever ridden in. I guess I will be practically glued to her back if I get these full seats!
She is not the "traditional" hunter/eq/pleasure pony because she has a short neck, stocky body, and short stride, but has an amazing jump, and we have a looong way to go before we really move up out of the schooling levels, but we are planning to attend a big open show at the end of summer if all goes well.
Thanks again :)
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 06-03-2013 09:37 PM

At local hunter shows here, I don't think I've ever seen anything but knee-patch breeches. Personally, I would not wear them in any hunter class, but if you feel that it would really help and you're just doing schooling shows, I think it would be okay. I would call the show secretary and ask his/her opinion to be sure.

hunterjumper1998 06-03-2013 10:33 PM

Thanks! They are very small. I'd have to ride in them at home to see if they make a big enough difference to be needed at a show first.
Posted via Mobile Device

DuckDodgers 06-04-2013 01:16 AM

I love my full seat breeches, but since I am a dressage rider I have no knowledge of how common they are in the hunter world. I have heard some who jump say that they don't like them because they feel as though they're sticking in the saddle when going over fences. It certainly couldn't hurt to have a couple of schooling pairs if nothing else, but as I'm sure you know sticky breeches are no substitute for a good seat! I always wore my full seat breeches back when I took lessons in high school, and I'd feel slip slidy if I wore this one particular pair of slick seeming riding tights. Through most of undergrad I pretty much only rode in these cotton pants that I had, or occasionally jeans. I finally wore through those thin pants (they actually both rubbed crotch holes within a couple weeks of each other!) and went back to using breeches more regularly. I was amazed at how a few years of improvement and working on my seat made my "slick tights" seem so much less slippery!

I never could find more of those cotton pants, but I have re-found my love for my full seat pants!