The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Photography (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/photography-20631/)

Moxie 01-11-2009 10:23 AM

Photography

Anyone into photography?

I have been interested in photography almost as long as I have been enamored with horses. Lately I have wanted to learn more, and possibly even buy myself a nicer high speed SLR.

Anyone have any tips or advice for a newbie just starting out?

moomoo 01-11-2009 10:25 AM

I am also a newbie :D I became obsessed with photography of moo :lol: I bought the SONY alpha 300 or 350 i think :)

Moxie 01-11-2009 10:32 AM

I want this one I think:

Sam's Club - Nikon D60 DSLR Digital Camera w/ 18-55 VR Lens

I have a decent digital but the shutter speed is so slow, I'd miss so much if I were to try and take up photography with that one.

Jehanzeb 01-11-2009 11:06 AM

I wouldn't call myself good photographer but would say it's just a good hobby. It all started off since University where I met few of my friends who were mad about photography, so mad that one guy bought a camera and had nothing left to spend on food.

Anyhow, If you ask me I'd suggest to look into Canon and Nikon (D70 perhaps?) however it all depends on your budget too.

regards

Moxie 01-11-2009 03:14 PM

Alright, I just bought like the sister to this camera, got home and found this camera at a better deal. I am going to order this camera and keep the one I have until I get this one in my clutches.

Sam's Club - Canon EOS XS 10MP DSLR Digital Camera w/ 2 Lenses

I've had the camera out of the box, and love it so far. It takes incredible pics and it has awesome shutter speed. However, the camera posted in the link has a far better lens, with a small price difference.

wanderlust 01-11-2009 05:45 PM

My advice would be to learn lighting. Lighting is really what makes a great picture. Learn to adjust your own aperture and shutter speed. These will go hand in hand with lighting and depth of field. I also highly recommend focusing the lens yourself, rather than having it on auto. These can make the difference between a photographer, and just someone with a camera.

If you, or anyone else, has any questions, you can pm me, or email me at animaphotography@gmail.com

I used to work with some really amazing photographers and learned a lot. Im willing to pass that on.

Moxie 01-11-2009 05:54 PM

Sweet!! What do you think about the camera selection I have made?

horsegirl123 01-11-2009 05:56 PM

I have a Canon Powershot Digital Elph and it is wonderful! It has so many different features and is great for a beginner. I got it for my birthday and have taken loads of pictures with it already (many of them of horses) My friend got a red Kodak for x-mas (not sure what type) and she took a picture in my room with all the light of and it looked as if the light was on! I would get this if you need a camera good for lighting!

Joshie 01-11-2009 08:37 PM

My husband is a photographer. A couple of suggestions: 1) Don't expect to make a living as a photographer right now. Here, at least, all local photographers are hurting. They've been hurting since 9/11. 2) Take classes at a local junior college. 3) Make friends with a photographer. Hold equipment for them at jobs. 4) Learn "real" photography in addition to digital. Learn how to develop film.

RockinTheBit07 01-11-2009 10:18 PM

I took photography for 2 years in high school and loved it! I personally like film over digital because it has that special character to it! I wish I had a dark room because i love developing film/burning pics especially double exposures!! My old film camera broke and i cant afford a new one so all i have is my digital one:?. I agree with Joshie on taking some photo courses at school or something, it really does help!