The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What equipment/tools are essential to keep in your trailer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-equipment-tools-essential-keep-your-20639/)

My Beau 01-11-2009 02:58 PM

What equipment/tools are essential to keep in your trailer?

Just wondering what you all keep in your trailers, things that are ALWAYS left in there or you never leave home without.

Tools, equipment, tack, etc.

Want to make sure I have everything!

Skyhuntress 01-11-2009 03:17 PM

I have an extra halter and leadrope. I have treats. I have a lunge whip. I have some Ace. I have a list of emergency numbers.
I think that's about it, honestly...

wild_spot 01-11-2009 05:08 PM

We have: A hose with a fitting to screw onto a tap that doesnt have one (you never know when you want to hose your horse down and theres no hose!), two little fold up chairs, tent pegs and guy ropes (we have an awning for the float) An axe ( I use it to bang tent pegs in ) A broom to sweep out the float, Ropes to help load the horses if they are being bratty, we have yards that attatch on to the side of the float, Haybags, Buckets.

We just load all the tack and spares before the comp.

MINIATURE SHETLANDS 01-11-2009 09:12 PM

Stuff that stays in the trailer: trailer jack, spare tire, tire tool, fix a flat, roadside emergency kit, spare halters, lead rope, first aid kit (human and horse) and horse treats.

Vidaloco 01-11-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINIATURE SHETLANDS (Post 228006)
Stuff that stays in the trailer: trailer jack, spare tire, tire tool, fix a flat, roadside emergency kit, spare halters, lead rope, first aid kit (human and horse) and horse treats.

You beat me to it I was going to say the fix a flat and first aid stuff is first on my list too. I carry one of those trailer ramp things. Haven't had to use it yet but I'm sure I'll be glad I have it comes the time.
I also leave all my insurance stuff, coggins and health certificates in there. The glove box of your truck is good enough if you don't have a place in your trailer. I also carry an ICE (in case of emergency) list in my glove box with phone #'s of who to contact should I be incapacitated.

luvs2ride1979 01-12-2009 09:14 AM

Rasp, pair of hoof boots (just one plus a shoe puller when I used to have my horses shod), ace and banamine, needles, first aid goodies, pillows and standings, extra halter, extra bridle, lunge line, etc.

For the trailer itself, properly inflated spare, jack, tire blocks, road warning triangles (those little reflective goodies in case you get a flat at night), and electrical tape (in case the lights hook up needs repair).

The only problem with Fix-a-Flat is that it will ruin the tire you put it in, so it can't be repaired or re-tread. It also has an expiration date, so check it every so often!

Vidaloco 01-12-2009 10:29 AM

Sorry I meant stuff to fix a flat not the fix a flat stuff :lol: I only use the tire sealer in small cart tires. My local garage mechanic warned me already against using it in a road tire.

kickshaw 01-12-2009 10:38 AM

extra leads and halters, a cooler, banamine, coggins, registration, bucket of water from home.