The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   What are you putting under round bales when storing outside? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/what-you-putting-under-round-bales-206466/)

wguisbert54 06-04-2013 08:32 AM

What are you putting under round bales when storing outside?

I have read on various places on the internet where a wide variety of objects are placed under round bales to keep them of the ground when storing them outside under tarps. The idea of using old tires seems easy, convenient, and cheap.
What experiences opinions do you have? Forgive me if required, but I will also place this question under horse nutrition.

GhostwindAppaloosa 06-04-2013 09:04 AM

we use pallets personally we have access to quite a few

apachiedragon 06-04-2013 09:11 AM

We also use pallets.

PaintHorseMares 06-04-2013 12:46 PM

We use pallets, too. We get ours for free from local horse barns that get shipments of feed, bedding, etc on pallets.
Posted via Mobile Device

morganarab94 06-04-2013 12:49 PM

We also use pallets. They are fairly easy to get your hands on around here.

waresbear 06-04-2013 12:54 PM

I have a small undercover area for about 5 rounds, but the floor is bare ground. I laid down 2 x 4's to keep them off the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 06-04-2013 01:00 PM

It's looking like I may end up with round bales this year so I was planning on pallets but tires sound interesting and my friend has plenty of them she would love for someone to haul away (came with the property she bought).

apachiedragon 06-04-2013 01:13 PM

If you use tires you would need to drill seepage holes in them, or run the risk of having a very large mosquito breeding ground.

Delfina 06-04-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachiedragon (Post 2704042)
If you use tires you would need to drill seepage holes in them, or run the risk of having a very large mosquito breeding ground.

It's CO..... it would actually have to rain!

The only storage I have that I could possibly put a round bale in is a 12x12 run-in but in all seriousness you are right and since when it does rain, it pours, drainage holes are a very good idea.

Saddlebag 06-05-2013 12:22 AM

Tires don't work as moisture collects where it contacts the rubber. Having done a lot of trial and error I find laying a plastic tarp on the ground then laying two rows of pallets allows for air movement under the hay. There is a surprising amount of moisture will leach downward as the hay sits. It you tarp it there has to be plenty of room for air up top or moisture will collect on the underside and drip into the hay. No tires up there either.