The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cowboy Mounted Shooting (http://www.horseforum.com/cowboy-mounted-shooting/)
-   -   New to cowboy mounted shooting (http://www.horseforum.com/cowboy-mounted-shooting/new-cowboy-mounted-shooting-206578/)

cjsunshine 06-04-2013 11:53 AM

New to cowboy mounted shooting

Best place to buy inexpensive guns? Niece is 13 and just starting we don't need to break the bank on guns till we see if she is serious about this.

Joe4d 06-04-2013 01:02 PM

id shop for used. Id also probably look for a pair of cap guns or starter pistols. Thats whay I just got a club startednear me recently. I have one gun, but I'm gonna just practice with the cap guns in my round pen. Then move up to my remington..
For actual competition guns Id focus on some Uberti clones. Basically italian copies of various single action revolvers. Even a slicked up worked over for mounted shooting gun can be had for about 500 each. Remember you will need 45 colt. as that is the official blanks used at matches.

Runnin' Iron - Cartridge Revolvers seem top be the go to guys for Ubertis.

looks to be a dealer for them in findlay ohio buffalo trading company.

nrhareiner 06-04-2013 05:21 PM

Do not buy cheap guns. First they really are not all that cheap. Next a good gun will hild its value.

If you are not sure if you are going to enjoy mounted shooting then barrow a rig and guns.

Keep in mind that the guns are just part of the expense. A good rig will run you just as much as a good gun and you will need the rig.

Fort fireman 06-10-2013 12:46 PM

Hey joe, which remington do you have? The 1858 or 1875? I have a 58 and was thinking of getting a conversion cylinder for it. However it does still seem pretty big for mounted shooting. At least to be competitive against the short barreled colt clones that seem prevelent.

cjsunshine 06-22-2013 09:07 AM

Thanks! We haven't been able to find any used ones. Didn't know if there were any cowboy mounted shooting websites where people sell the used stuff at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 2703954)
id shop for used. Id also probably look for a pair of cap guns or starter pistols. Thats whay I just got a club startednear me recently. I have one gun, but I'm gonna just practice with the cap guns in my round pen. Then move up to my remington..
For actual competition guns Id focus on some Uberti clones. Basically italian copies of various single action revolvers. Even a slicked up worked over for mounted shooting gun can be had for about 500 each. Remember you will need 45 colt. as that is the official blanks used at matches.

Runnin' Iron - Cartridge Revolvers seem top be the go to guys for Ubertis.

looks to be a dealer for them in findlay ohio buffalo trading company.

cjsunshine 06-22-2013 09:09 AM

I did not say cheap I said inexpensive. She has been borrowing them now at the shoots but needs to practice at home. Again she is 13... they are fickle. I was looking for some suggestions on some possible websites that people might sell used cowboy mounted shooting items including maybe guns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 2705786)
Do not buy cheap guns. First they really are not all that cheap. Next a good gun will hild its value.

If you are not sure if you are going to enjoy mounted shooting then barrow a rig and guns.

Keep in mind that the guns are just part of the expense. A good rig will run you just as much as a good gun and you will need the rig.

Tazmanian Devil 07-18-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjsunshine (Post 2863370)
I did not say cheap I said inexpensive. She has been borrowing them now at the shoots but needs to practice at home. Again she is 13... they are fickle. I was looking for some suggestions on some possible websites that people might sell used cowboy mounted shooting items including maybe guns.

IMO, cheap and inexpensive are the same thing in this situation.

Ruger Vaquero is the best way to go if cost is a consideration. These are very well made and popular in the mounted shooting world. This means that the quality of a used one is likely good, they will be relatively easy to find and will tend to hold their resale value. If you niece stays with it she has a good set of guns. If she gets out of it, you will likely get back what you spent (or more) on a pair of used Rugers.

In my experience, Uberti clones are not as well made, nor do they hold their value as well.

I am pretty sure you can find a used Ruger Vaquero for around $500 each. Less expensive alternatives will not be much less ($400?).

A good place to look for used gear like this is the SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) website. SASS Wire Forum They have a classified section. Because word gets around quick in the cowboy world, SASS members selling items there tend to be a bit more trustworthy than a typical internet site.

There is also gunbroker (online) but I know of some people who got burned there by folks misrepresenting items. Caveat Emptor.

Sam and Lee Helms at Hired Gun Horsemanship (google them) are very active in the mounted shooting world. They are in North Carolina. It is worth a shot to contact them to see if they know of anyone selling some used iron.

If your niece is getting involved in mounted shooting, I am guessing there is a club nearby that you would be riding with. Your local mounted shooting club (or SASS club) can be a great resource in helping you find all kinds of used gear. If your local club can't help, reach out to other active clubs. Mounted Shooters are a friendly bunch and always willing to help new folks get into the game.