The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Trailers? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/trailers-20671/)

free_sprtd 01-11-2009 08:31 PM

Trailers?

So my boyfriend and I have been playing with the idea of getting a horse trailer, 2-3 horse slant. I know NOTHING about them, just that I need one hopefully by summer. I am going to use it for thunder and my bf can use it for his dirt bike lol. I guess i'm just wondering how people afford them? we are looking for something around $1500-2000 (depending on our situation, I might be able to talk him into $2500. I was searching online and couldnt find much around that price. Do people often times finance them like a car? Do they go through a private seller and pay out right? Make payments??? ugh i just don't know lol. The easiest thing to do would be to pay out right, but coming up with that money will be a bit tough. Your thoughts??

LauraB 01-11-2009 10:30 PM

My horse trailer is financed for 15 years! I will be almost 40 (scary) when it is paid off if I don't get a different one before that. I have never regreted buying it. If you can see what you can get financed for you may be able spend a little bit more money. You will find a much nice trailer if you pay a little more.

free_sprtd 01-11-2009 10:39 PM

so is it just like buying a car?

LauraB 01-12-2009 09:15 PM

Yes , basically.

shmurmer4 01-12-2009 09:28 PM

Yeah except when you get into big trailers with slide outs. Then many of of those trailers are incorrectly engineered. The slide out is too close to the goose neck and such.

shmurmer4 01-12-2009 09:30 PM

For the question, I payed cash for both trailers, 45' and our 2 horse. The two horse was pretty cheap. I do like the slant trailers though, you can finance them, but a 3 horse you can get a decent new one for below 10k so that isn't too bad.

You may look on craigslist, or local news ads like american classifieds or green sheet, etc

Angel_Leaguer 01-13-2009 02:44 PM

For 1500-2000 price you may find yourself paying in for fixing up the trailer. Tires, breaks, lights, flooring, etc... go out over time and you could run into that problem if they arent taken care of.

I hate my stcok trailer that I have now, I could get $2000 on a trade-in but I dont think I want to pick up another payment at this point in my life, and it gets be where I need to go. Over the last few years I had to put in new flooring (my dad and I did it), lights, and bought new tires last spring (spendy), but the trailer is sound. It needs new paint but it is going to cost more then what it is worth.

Basically what im saying is you get what you pay for, usually cheaper the trailer more money you are going to put into it.

free_sprtd 01-13-2009 02:47 PM

ya im kind of realising that now. thanks so much for the advice! looks like we may need to look in to financing eventually :/

mlkarel2010 01-13-2009 08:06 PM

Have you been looking at used ones? I think horse.com has trailers for sale ads

free_sprtd 01-14-2009 02:06 AM

oh i didn't think about that, ill check it out! thanks :)