The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   carts stored for 14 years last show about 15 years ago. (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/carts-stored-14-years-last-show-206730/)

michaelvanessa 06-04-2013 04:32 PM

carts stored for 14 years last show about 15 years ago.

2 Attachment(s)
heres were my 2 show carts are thay have not seen the light of day for 14 years.

Attachment 204266

Attachment 204274

greentree 06-04-2013 04:46 PM

I think I have one like the front cart! I don't have a tub cart like that, it looks beautiful!
The tub cart is the prettiest color combination!

Thanks for showing us...now get in there and dig them out!!

Nancy

G8tdh0rse 06-05-2013 01:18 PM

Carts of any kind are hard to find where I live.

Taffy Clayton 06-11-2013 11:21 PM

I love them! Maybe it's time to let them see some sun.
Is that a tub cart, or a governess cart, or a governess tub cart?

Can't see the green cart to well but that tub is a real gem.
Shines like a new penny!

michaelvanessa 06-12-2013 04:28 PM

tub cart.

thay got the name tub cart as a nick name as its shaped like a tub.
thay were designed for the house hold as the governess took out her charges (children) and thay enterd by a door in the back of the cart.
the governess drove the cart siting sideways as there is a cut out in the seat on the opersit side to were she sat.
a good honest horse or pony was imployed and put to the shafts.
i will have to get them both out and take some pictures of both of them.
the wheels were rebuilt re channled and retired as well and thay were firedand shrunk on to get a tite fit on the wheel and the felleys.
he also changed a spoke as well he was a crafts man.
the wheels went via currier and droped back by currier.

Taffy Clayton 06-12-2013 04:30 PM

So are all tub carts governess's carts?

michaelvanessa 06-12-2013 04:58 PM

governess/tub carts.

thay are but most people call them tub carts.
the mud guards (fenders) are steam bent and shaped.
also the top rail is steam bent to and inbetween the top rail and the top of the cart is leather.
the upholstery is green velvet with green furicher studs on the inside of the top rail and the seats.
on the reverce the seats are black leather with black fernicher buttons.
the four wheel dog cart waggonett has shafts and a pole and also team bars so i could drive a team of 4 or other multipuls.
and has black leather upholstery and back rests and wooden block brakes and the brake handle is on a ratchet system.

greentree 06-12-2013 05:08 PM

I cannot WAIT to see them out!!

If I can get into the carriage house (since my DH cleaned out the garage, I have a bad feeling about where all the stuff went) I will take pictures of mine- NONE as nice as those, though!

Nancy

michaelvanessa 06-12-2013 05:24 PM

many thanks.

you both have a great collection of carts to and beautiful horses to match.
taffy clayton and green tree you both have awesome turnouts indeed and i would like to thank you for shareing your pictures.
i think as drivers here we have a libury of carts between us and its great to let other people see them.
and hopefully thay give imspration to up and comeing drivers.
and all the other drivers to in driveing horse ponys donkeys and mules and also resteration works on carts thay have found and loveingley restore and go to the lengths of keeping a heratage alive.

jimmy 06-16-2013 11:44 AM

they used to call them tub traps as well, the reason being if a horse took off in one, the occupants were well and truly trapped