The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Seller's resposibilities ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/sellers-resposibilities-20685/)

Spyder 01-11-2009 10:02 PM

Seller's resposibilities ?

I saw this topic on another site and am throwing it up here for discussion.

How far should a seller go in checking out the buyer and making sure the horse is going to a good home, not going to be abused or neglected. And what if the seller sells to a buyer who wouldn't do that, or say they would not do that and the horse ends up in a bad situation anyway when the buyer decides to sell he horse.

How far do a seller's responsibilities go?

whitetrashwarmblood 01-11-2009 10:47 PM

I know when I sold Playboy I made sure that I told anybody that was interested about all of his pros and cons. I didn't want someone to end up taking him home to find out some of his cons the hard way, and maybe even want to sell him because of it.
Even though the boy I sold him to boards him at the same stable I board mine, I would not have sold Playboy to anybody who's not willing to let me see if he's going to a good home.
I also made the boy's father (the boy is only 12) sign a horse purchase agreement, and with it stated that if he were ever to sell Playboy I would get first dibbs.

county 01-11-2009 10:54 PM

I'd never sell to what I know would be an abused place etc. but go to great lenghts to find out? Depends on ones idea of " great lenghts " I suppose. I sell horses all over the U.S., Can, Mex, and I've sent a couple to Europe. I don't run a background check etc. on anyone and can't imagine doing so.

mlkarel2010 01-13-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetrashwarmblood (Post 228108)
I know when I sold Playboy I made sure that I told anybody that was interested about all of his pros and cons

I read that at first and got very confused, but don't worry I got it now Playboy=horse :D

I think it's up to the seller and how much they care. If they really care about the horse they will go to all lengths, but if they regard the horse as another mouth to feed then they prolly only care for the check that is to come.

I think a responsible seller SHOULD at least ask questions about the potential owner's experience, ways of care, and what he/she will be doing with the horse. If the seller wants to ensure a good home they can go see the potential new home and declare a 30-day buy-back period and check up on the new owner periodically to be sure it is a good home.

Overall it's the seller's decision really