The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Pooh! now I know what it feel like to fall off a 17hh horse! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/pooh-now-i-know-what-feel-206938/)

tinyliny 06-04-2013 10:20 PM

Pooh! now I know what it feel like to fall off a 17hh horse!

Well, it had to happen. I managed to fall off Z today.
We met the elusive wild jogger coming around a corner, and Z disappeared out from under me, started to head for home, and I landed on some VERY hard packed ground. basically, the consistency of concrete. Fortunately, landed pretty evenly, though my sacroilliac will be screaming tomorrow.

we were trotting along a wooded trail and he was really sucking back, so I had been putting more leg on him and the whip, too. He would surge forward, then suck back, surge forward, then suck back. I was having some little trouble staying perfectly upright when he did this. I haven't been in the saddle for nearly 3 weeks. But, that is all excuses, because I simply don't have a strong enough, stable enough seat to stick to a horse that spins out from under me. I have come off in this kind of spook something like 7 times now! It is really disheartening.

I walked him to the biggest log we could find and remounted, and we walked on, but I knew that my back and neck would freeze up. I didn't want to kill my ride, but didn't feel confident enough to trot on the wooded trails. So , we walked all the way to the arena, and there I trotted some, but it was simply awful! He was falling in, fighting the bit, my balance was bad, I was flopping all over. Just THE worst ride I have had in years. I handed the reins to my buddy, took Mac, and she rode out his 'tude. I couldn't do it. I hate giving up. I hate it!!!!!!

I can pat myself on the back for getting back on and riding out the ride (like an hour), and making him trot. And, in a strange way, I now have that fall over with and know that it is surviveable (talk to me tomorrow, though), but, it has made me realize that in many ways, I am overhorsed on Z, from time to time. ARGH! I feel extremely discouraged right now. I jsut wanted to whine on your all's shoulders, since if I tell hubby , he will only say that riding is too dangerous.

(drinking a beer and taking my anti inflammatories now, with ice on my backside)

Jake and Dai 06-04-2013 10:22 PM

Awwwww Tiny! Glad to hear you're ok and stuck with it enough to finish out the ride.

I hope you're not as sore as you think you'll be tomorrow!!

tinyliny 06-04-2013 10:24 PM

I put on a good face, for the sake of my 28 year old riding buddy, but man, at 55 it sucks to hit hard ground!

Copperhead 06-04-2013 10:24 PM

Oh man that's rough. We all have our bad days. I seem to be on a steady stream with them and I'm just never happy with what I do in the saddle lately.

That's quite a fall. I bet you'll feel it in the morning (as if you don't feel it now!) but it gets better. I'm glad you stuck with the end of the ride!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jake and Dai 06-04-2013 10:27 PM

I don't even want to imagine it! Just have another beer! :)

boots 06-04-2013 10:28 PM

I hate it when they *poof* disappear! Glad you're okay.

Did you have time, on the long trip down, to write a poem? Maybe some Haiku? A friend of mine came off a draft cross and claims the poem she wrote about it (3 stanzas) came to her on the way down!

tinyliny 06-04-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boots (Post 2708922)
I hate it when they *poof* disappear! Glad you're okay.

Did you have time, on the long trip down, to write a poem? Maybe some Haiku? A friend of mine came off a draft cross and claims the poem she wrote about it (3 stanzas) came to her on the way down!

NO. before this, when he's spooked sideways, his big drafty neck has saved my clams, but this time, i had nothing. I mean, i was in the saddle, then on the ground so fast i don't know how I travelled there.

Charley horse 06-04-2013 10:42 PM

Awwyyyy Tiny I wouldnt want to imagine what that is like falling off a 17hh horse..(Mine is that tall!) I almost had a spell w/him last weekend when a spook took him eight feet to the right suddenly....Good thing I stayed w/him but for a second I did see the ground and thought "Oh this is going to hurt!" Then oh H#44 no I am staying on lol!!! Hope you feel better soon sorry that happened to you.

Phly 06-04-2013 10:44 PM

That's a bummer, especially coming off a wonderful vacation.
Hopefully tomorrow won't be as bad as one would think, though usually it is...
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 06-04-2013 10:56 PM

So sorry to hear that Caroline. Eating dirt sucks :( I hadn't came off of a big one in decades until last year and Missy (16.3) unloaded me good in the same fashion. I, like you was pretty darn mad at myself. I should've been ready for it even though I couldn't have seen it coming.

Glad you didn't get seriously hurt. Hope it's just a bit of being sore and back at it soon. My go to - Absorbine 50/50 with vinegar. Great for the aches and beats the heck out of icy hot.