The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   5 year old quarter horse, don't know where to start. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/5-year-old-quarter-horse-dont-206946/)

neggens 06-04-2013 11:35 PM

5 year old quarter horse, don't know where to start.

Hi
I recently bought a 5 year old quarter horse I would like to start on barrels.
I know how to train for barrels.
But this horse is apparently "green" broke according to the old owner. I've been riding him and he seems really calm and understands the basics. The owner never gave me the full details about how they rode him, he was very vague. He obviously hasn't been ridden for long periods because he gets sweaty and a bit tired very fast. I mostly walk and a little trot. I have cantered with him but not for long. I don't know where to start. Should I condition him to be able to go on trail longer and not get sweaty as fast then start training for barrels? I just am double checking because I don't want to hurt him.

Phly 06-05-2013 02:34 AM

Me personally? I'd just ride and ride and ride. As often as possible.
I'd walk the pattern some here and there, but not drill it hard.
Get to know each other, get him to be a solid mount, and confident in you. Then worry about running patterns.
A Good barrel horse can get down when it's time, then walk off like its just another day in the park.
A smoking fast, needs lead or pushed in barrel horse, IMO, is useless.
Don't set your focus on barrels but more so on a GOOD horse, and I bet you'll do just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Palomine 06-06-2013 08:17 AM

I'd be doing something with vet first to see why you feel he is getting so tired.

Horse may be older than you think, or have something wrong with him but I wouldn't do anything until you had him checked out.