The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hoof Freeze? Does it work ?? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-freeze-does-work-206986/)

Appaloosagirl 06-04-2013 10:53 PM

Hoof Freeze? Does it work ??

Hey Guy's ! I was at my local co-op feed/tack store today, and I was looking at the horse care products and came across 'Hawthorne Hoof Freeze', the price is $37.95 CAD what caught my eye was how it claims to be for tender footed horses well my mare is tender footed she gets a sore foot from galloping on harder ground mud/manure getting packed in her hoof ect... so my quetion is has anyone on here tried out the hoof freeze does it work is it a waste of money help please before I purchase it !? Thank's

p.s shes been checked out and there is nothing wrong, just has tender feet so dont tell me to have her vet checked or the farrier out because shes all up to date with her check up's everythings fine ! lol

spirit88 06-04-2013 11:22 PM

No every thing isn't fine if she's tender footed. Have no idea if hoof freeze works never have used it.

Joe4d 06-05-2013 06:08 AM

you need another farrier.
Rather than waste money on snake oil, throw a truck load of gravel around the water tank, or other choke point int he field the horse has to walk through every day.

Appaloosagirl 06-05-2013 09:43 AM

She's 100 % sound she just gets the occasional stone bruise and I was wondering if the hoof freeze would work l ...
Posted via Mobile Device

Boo Walker 06-05-2013 10:01 AM

Our Belgian occasionally gets tender, especially if the ground has been wet for a few days. I put some Betadine in a spray bottle and apply it to the soles daily until they toughen back up. It sure works for me!

DancingArabian 06-05-2013 10:21 AM

I've never heard of Bernadine toughening soles. Wouldn't that just dry them out?

Never heard of hoof freeze either..

I've seen Durasole give good results though.
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 06-05-2013 10:26 AM

I have heard iodine on the sole does toughen them, but you should be careful to apply it only to the sole.

Appaloosagirl 06-05-2013 10:12 PM

Thanks ! :) guys good to know what can help harden her hoofs !:)

aforred 06-05-2013 10:14 PM

The gravel idea is a good one, IMO. Use something like pea gravel, and it will really help toughen up those soles.

Regula 06-06-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aforred (Post 2712714)
I have heard iodine on the sole does toughen them, but you should be careful to apply it only to the sole.

As opposed to what? Where should the betadine not go?
Posted via Mobile Device