The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   Gorgeous young stallion (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/gorgeous-young-stallion-20719/)

Sara 01-12-2009 02:39 PM

Gorgeous young stallion

My jaw just about dropped off. Talk about a born athlete!

JustDressageIt 01-12-2009 03:06 PM

How old is he? I gather he's pretty young... the only complaint I have is his headset under saddle - if he's young, I'd prefer to see a long and low headset - they're creating an unnatural bend and therefore inconsistencies.

But he sure is stunning! I could watch him all day long...

moomoo 01-12-2009 03:16 PM

Gorgeous! :shock: That guy must be near olypic standard sprinter to run that fast with him!

Sara 01-12-2009 03:42 PM

He is quite young, born in 2005. A bit more info here:
News -> Breeding -> KWPN -> 2008 -> Ampere Wins 2008 KWPN Spring Stallion Performance Test

Kiki 01-12-2009 05:18 PM

I love how floaty he looks in trot. He does loose a bit of it in canter but I agree that poor dude must be a sprinter

My2Geldings 01-13-2009 12:42 AM

Some gorgeous horses without a doubt but I can't help but shake my head at the how far they will synthesize the sport for show. I mean when you look at the general photo, a poor stallion is being chased in a cage with cameras and crowds etc etc.

LauraB 01-14-2009 07:09 PM

He is cool but he looks like a handfull.

1dog3cats17rodents 01-16-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CacheDawnTaxes (Post 229031)
Some gorgeous horses without a doubt but I can't help but shake my head at the how far they will synthesize the sport for show. I mean when you look at the general photo, a poor stallion is being chased in a cage with cameras and crowds etc etc.

I think he is being judged for breeding quality (or something like that)

Besides, except the crowds, is it any different then longeing/free longeing? The cage is just because they are working with stallions, and they don't want to get hurt.

Jubilee 01-16-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 228551)
How old is he? I gather he's pretty young... the only complaint I have is his headset under saddle - if he's young, I'd prefer to see a long and low headset - they're creating an unnatural bend and therefore inconsistencies.

I'm still new to how headsets and body carriage should be for Dressage. Could you help me understand better what exactly he is doing wrong with his head set. I'm having a hard time seeing it but I know that's simply because I have untrained eyes, I'm trying to learn.

He is GORGEOUS though. What breed is he?

Jubilee

JustDressageIt 01-16-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubilee (Post 231819)
I'm still new to how headsets and body carriage should be for Dressage. Could you help me understand better what exactly he is doing wrong with his head set. I'm having a hard time seeing it but I know that's simply because I have untrained eyes, I'm trying to learn.

He is GORGEOUS though. What breed is he?

Jubilee

My pleasure.

*I didn't take a long time to find these photos... they were kinda the first ones I saw that fit my description.*

Here is a horse working long and low. He is on the forehand, but you can see that he's starting to loosen up through the back. This is where I feel a young horse should be.
http://www.geocities.com/gerrypony/correct-low.gif
Again, this is a little bit exaggerated, and the horse is travelling heavy on the forehand, but it illustrates the head carraige I'd like to see in a youngster.

Here is a horse in what you'd call a "typical" dressage headset. The base of the neck is elevated and you can see the "swan"-esque neckset. This is where an advanced horse should be.
http://www.superiorequinesires.com/s...mpic_ferro.jpg

In my opinion, a 3 year old should NOT be in that dressage headset. They should instead encourage proper impulsion, and allow the horse to go long and low before having to collect upwards.

If you can get your hands on a book called "Tug of War: Classical Versus "Modern" Dressage" I HIGHLY recommend it, it's an amazing read, but not too "technical" that the non-dressage rider can't understand it.