The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Moody Chestnut mares?!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/moody-chestnut-mares-20726/)

welshy 01-12-2009 04:32 PM

Moody Chestnut mares?!?

We own a chestnut mare and i have to say she is alot more fiery than any other mare i met.

And i've heard the comment from many people saying she's a moody chestnut mare even the vet said it!

I was wondering if any of you had heard this comment? and are chestnut mares really more moody when they're in season than any other colour?

Gingerrrrr 01-12-2009 04:43 PM

i had a chestnut and she was a witch but i doubt it has to do with there color.

county 01-12-2009 04:48 PM

I've owned 100's of mares and of every color never found color to have a thing to do with attitude. I think theres more Chestnuts that are but only because thats the most common color. The least common ones are Grullos but only because that color is the lowest in numbers.

Strange 01-12-2009 07:00 PM

I've heard this stereotype before as well, but I wouldn't give it any credit. Several chestnut mares I know are the quietest horses I've ever met.

StormyBlues 01-12-2009 07:02 PM

I wouldn't say this is true, except our Chestnut mare is extremly moody. She is also 4 weeks away from due....

Jubilee Rose 01-12-2009 07:27 PM

My old trainer said that too! I was skeptical as well. How could colour have anything to do with it? That being said, I know a very hyper chestnut mare, but also an extremely calm one too.

PoptartShop 01-12-2009 07:58 PM

Yeah, I don't think color has anything to do with behavior. :) She's maybe just moody because she's a mare! :lol:

NewHeart 01-12-2009 11:02 PM

This is simply like red cars go faster than blue ones... Color really has no affect on the attitude of a horse. What may play a factor is that you own a mare, they do have tendency to be more moody than geldings. It is probably just an expression used about chestnut mare, nothing more.

welshy 01-13-2009 04:57 AM

yeh mares are more moody than geldings but i do have two other mares (that aren't chestnut) that are really calm, but that i've met alot of other chestnut mares that are really calm too!

oh and StormyBlues your mares in foal? good luck with that! our mare's only got 3 months left...

Supermane 01-13-2009 08:28 AM

Hell hath no furry like a chestnut thoroughbred mare xD

I've definitely heard it before and it would be quite accurate for my mare.