The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Buying My First Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/buying-my-first-horse-20741/)

HorseRiderLover 01-12-2009 08:51 PM

Buying My First Horse

I have been riding for about a year and am going to get a horse once I find the right one. I was wondering what height and breed you think is right for me. I am turning 13 this year and am a confident beginner.
I am about 145cm and weigh about 38kg. Please tell me what height horse you think would suit me, but please don't comment on whether or not I'm ready for a horse.
Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

JustDressageIt 01-12-2009 09:38 PM

Breeds come in various temperaments, from skittish to "bombproof." I think, beyond breed, you should concentrate on finding a horse with the training level you want, and a height you could be comfortable with.
Being a beginner, I would suggest looking at horses around 10 years old with a good temperament and the level of training that you want on it so you're not over-mounted on a horse that will make you scared.
Best of luck in your search.

BluMagic 01-12-2009 09:39 PM

In my opinion, size isn't all that important for beginning. I would say around 15hh. I think disposition has a lot to do with the general 'size' of a horse. For example, you can have a 12hh pony that acts like a huge racehorse. And there's that giant Belgian that is so sweet.

Anyhow, age can vary. My horse at your age was 15hh and 22yrs old. Thats a little too old for me but he was a great boy and never quit. Sorry about my rambling. I would need to know a bit more about you to give you my true opinion but for now...

I'm thinking between 14 and 17 depending on your disciplines and the horse. I'm not good at giving advice. But I hope this helped some! :)

Jubilee Rose 01-12-2009 11:40 PM

Another thing to consider as well is ... do you want this to be a forever horse? Or at least a long-term horse? If so, buy a horse that you won't outgrow height-wise. At your age you probably will still get taller, so I would aim for something slightly taller. 15hh is about your average but leaning towards shorter. Maybe somewhere around 15hh-15.3hh. But as others have mentioned, height isn't as much a concern as finding a horse that is reliable, trustworthy and with a good solid temperment.

Good luck!!

HorseRiderLover 01-13-2009 04:29 PM

Thanks for everyone's help, it's greatly appreciated

mlkarel2010 01-13-2009 07:59 PM

What do you want to do with the horse? Some horses are more popular in other disciplines than others.

HorseRiderLover 01-14-2009 05:36 PM

I ride English. I do a bit of everything; dressage, jumping, pony club games. But I'm looking for a horse I can also show.

mlkarel2010 01-14-2009 11:10 PM

TB have been popular all around english horses. All breeds can do English, but they seem to be the most popular. For English you usually want less of a stocky horse and more of a longer, thinner, and more defined horse. That's just what I would want, but that doesn't mean you can't have a stockier one. I've seen many good English horses that are stocky

HorseRiderLover 01-14-2009 11:56 PM

I saw a Quarter Pony in a horse selling magazine recently and I really liked it - what do you guys think?

mlkarel2010 01-15-2009 12:07 AM

They're dependable, but it depends on how long you plan on keeping it, because depending on its size you may outgrow it within a few years