The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Knee pain during riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/knee-pain-during-riding-207410/)

Dfrey16 06-05-2013 04:32 PM

Knee pain during riding

Hello, I have been riding for a couple of years now. My issue is that I was riding English (learning to jump) and have recently began riding western for my job.
I had an issue with my knee a few years ago and had to get surgery on it and it is fine when I ride english but riding western is causing it to ache horribly.
Like I said, this is my job so I cannot just switch to English....

Is there anyone else that has noticed knee pain in Western but not English and is there any way of easing the pain!?

bsms 06-05-2013 04:59 PM

Yes. Sometimes it helps to get the fender bent.

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...tirrups-17669/

Sometimes I think it is the saddle tree.

Our Circle Y Mojave kills my knees...15 minutes or riding, and I'll limp when I get off. I used our Abetta a couple of days ago on our little BLM mustang, and I did fine. The shape of the Circle Y puts my thigh forward and then kind of leaves my knee hanging in mid-air. The Abetta has a narrower tree and allows my thigh to go down in my normal riding position. You might try borrowing some other saddles to see if any fit your legs better.

Good luck!

Skyseternalangel 06-05-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dfrey16 (Post 2716058)
Hello, I have been riding for a couple of years now. My issue is that I was riding English (learning to jump) and have recently began riding western for my job.
I had an issue with my knee a few years ago and had to get surgery on it and it is fine when I ride english but riding western is causing it to ache horribly.
Like I said, this is my job so I cannot just switch to English....

Is there anyone else that has noticed knee pain in Western but not English and is there any way of easing the pain!?

Yes!

As bsms mentioned, it could be that the fender needs turning.

It could be your stirrup is either too short or too long

It could be that the saddle tree isn't helping your knee out by being too wide or too narrow for you.

It could be that the stirrup itself is not the right material. Some people do better in metal stirrups than the wrapped leather ones, etc.

My advice would be to try shortening/lengthening the stirrups first. If that doesn't help then change stirrups, if that doesn't help, then turn the fenders. If that doesn't help then perhaps it is the saddle itself.

Hope you figure it out

Haileyyy 06-05-2013 07:48 PM

I second adjusting your stirrups, my knees bothered me until I lowered my stirrups a hole and now I can ride for hours without any problems.

Joe4d 06-05-2013 07:50 PM

I change my stirrups during a ride, + or - a half inch. Easy to do aussi not so much western. Why cant you ride in an english saddle for your job ? Or maybe look aussi

Wheatermay 06-06-2013 01:59 AM

My stirrups was uneven yesterday riding. I didnt notice until my left knee started hurting really bad. I noticed that it was bent more. I wanted to drop it, but everyone told me I needed to raise the other one! I dont want to! LOL.... I do barrel race and poles and cones at fun shows. Do we have to have them THAT bent? I feel like I'm in my seat better when they are a little lower too....

Golden Horse 06-06-2013 02:09 AM

I second and third making sure that the fenders are turned properly. You may also want to look at sloping stirrups. I haven't tried them yet, turning my fenders properly cured my issues, but was recommended these CrookedStirrups.com - Authentic, Original, Patented, CrookedStirrups! Crooked Stirups, Western Saddles

Joe4d 06-06-2013 07:25 AM

why worry about what people say, put em where they're comfortable.

Wheatermay 06-06-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 2720754)
why worry about what people say, put em where they're comfortable.

Well I figured there was a reason. They said I have to have a gap in between my pelvis and seat when I stand. But I noticed i was much more comfortable and balanced when I used my brother in law's saddle (with longer stirrups). That was I depend on my seat, and it actually makes my pelvis and back feel good.

So does that gap have to be there?

bsms 06-06-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheatermay (Post 2724586)
...So does that gap have to be there?

FWIW, I don't think so. I stay on better with my center of gravity lower, and I like my leg to be relaxed in a position where it naturally follows the curve of my horse. I usually adjust my stirrups for a height that makes my leg feel draped around the horse. On my mare, that is a position that allows me to be light in the seat, but not fully out of it. Maybe an inch, tops.

That is also the position that keeps my knees feeling OK and my heels down.

I have no interest in jumping anything other than the invisible jumps my mare used to find. They seem to be getting rarer now, and I won't miss them if all the invisible jumps go away...:wink:

My standard position. I don't teach, train, compete, or anything else...just ride the horse I like riding. Take it with a big steaming cup of FWIW: