The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   OTT Thoroughbreds anyone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/ott-thoroughbreds-anyone-20744/)

BluMagic 01-12-2009 09:26 PM

OTT Thoroughbreds anyone?

Has anyone here dealt with a Recently Off The Track Thoroughbred? Would you mind telling me about the horse, problems, and how you dealt with the issues?

Thank you very much!

:)

JustDressageIt 01-12-2009 09:35 PM

Denny is an OTTB gelding. He's as good as they come.
I absolutely love TBs. They're amazing athletes. However, they need understanding owners/handlers because they're treated so differently than most horses.

There is an amazing book out there called "BEYOND THE TRACK" that is written by a TB rescue down in the States, and it talks exclusively about off the track thoroughbreds. It's an amazing resource and will answer all your questions and more.

Feel free to PM me or leave more questions here if you'd like..I know there are a few of us OTTB owners on here, they'll probably stop in :)

BluMagic 01-12-2009 09:41 PM

Oooo! Sounds good. I might just look that up now. Thanks!

JustDressageIt 01-12-2009 09:51 PM

Beyond the Track:

BluMagic 01-12-2009 09:53 PM

Oh wow! Thanks. That sounds excellent after reading the description!

mudypony 01-13-2009 04:42 PM

My horse is an OTTB but I'm afraid I can't be of much help because I got him a few years after he's been off the track. I've also heard very good things about that book too and would suggest reading it.

Sorry I'm not much help. :-(

fireinthedisco 02-16-2009 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had many OTT TB's it really depends on the horse's attitude and your capabilities. Sorry to be useless!

However if it helps I have attached a recent photo of my newest OTT TB gelding, his name is Captain. He is not your average TB he is quite lazy and laid back despite winning a race and placing in the 8 starts he had.

Captain is not much of a fan of turning or collection, however on the few short weeks I have had him continous work he has come up very nicely!

He went for a day out on the weekend and entered show hunter ridden and took out reserve champion:D not a bad day out!

He is the bay with the rider wearing a grey jacket

kerplop 02-17-2009 01:07 AM

I looked at quite a few OTTBs before I found Lena, (she's just a TB cross) and I recently bought an OTTB, Gracie, about a month ago! Gracie is the coolest horse- so much personality! She's athletic, intelligent, and ornery! Gracie raced as a 2 year old a few times and she's 4 and a half now, so I've only run into the "taking off" problem once- and that was 100% my fault so I don't even count it as happening. As for other OTTB vices, I THINK she cribs a little bit, (I noticed some chunks out of the wood missing in her stall the other day) but she's not destroying anything- yet. Other than that, Gracie just gets super nervous when she's alone in the barn without any of her friends and paces around in the cross ties, but that's more of her being a youngster than an OTTB. Other than that, she's the most laid back thoroughbred at my barn, even compared to the unraced ones! OTTBs have this stereotype of being hyper, but a good majority are pretty chill horses!

stsjade 02-11-2011 08:23 PM

we have an ottb mare - she is pretty calm and level headed - she does have a thing though, that when she is nervous or upset, she really chomps on the bit and swings around and stamps her hind legs. mostly to take care of that, we just took her around scary objects and encouraged her to look at them, not spin away and avoid them. she is doing much better :)

donovan 03-14-2011 07:31 PM

mine is not recently OT but we had a few problems like she sticks her head up in the air i just put a cavvason nose band on and she brings it down nicley now