The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Wipe Out! (we're okay) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/wipe-out-were-okay-20746/)

NorthernMama 01-12-2009 10:31 PM

Wipe Out! (we're okay)

So, I thought I'd just ride in the yard so I would have time to take out both horses on Sunday. I have part of the paddock cut off for the winter and it's lots big enough to do some "arena" work.

Lisa, OTStdbd, has always had problems with her right lead. I don't care enough to drill her on it, just so long as she listens to me. But on Sunday, we were cantering to the right and she decided it was a better idea to skitter across the icy path to the barn than to listen to me and DOWN we both went. I was bareback (almost always in the winter) and I consider that part of the reason neither of us got hurt. (The other part is just plain luck.) My foot was sore last night 'cause she fell on part of it, but that's it. No sign of anything at all on her yesterday or today. Whew!

Guess I'd better get to work on that right lead... :?

sandy2u1 01-12-2009 10:43 PM

our horses are always training us arent they lol. glad you both are ok.

mlkarel2010 01-13-2009 07:32 PM

Glad you're ok. I've been kinda nervous about riding on ice since I saw the Horse Whisperer

wanderlust 01-13-2009 08:23 PM

luckily you are both ok!

NorthernMama 01-13-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlkarel2010 (Post 229674)
Glad you're ok. I've been kinda nervous about riding on ice since I saw the Horse Whisperer

Ya, I generally avoid ice of all kinds. Actually the driveway was just hardpack, but that's bad enough and I know it. Hence why I ride in the bush or in my "arena" area where I know traction is better. I don't even ride on the sideroads right now because they are so hardpack and "stupid-head" will go where-ever she pleases instead of letting me guide her to the sanded areas and walking straight. So, we end up doing a drunken-sailor walk down the road :lol:

mlkarel2010 01-13-2009 09:34 PM

Yeah, and if you avoid roads you should be better off that way too. That movie has probably scared every horse person out there. Poor guy.