The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Vet Woes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/vet-woes-207530/)

Horseychick94 06-05-2013 10:27 PM

Vet Woes

My horse, Harley is EXTREMELY petrified of the vet. What can I give him as an oral tranquilizer before the vet arrives? Is there anything I can eventually do to help him with his fears so I, the vet, and him don't have to deal with this anymore?

Horseychick94 06-06-2013 12:51 AM

PS the vet told me to give it to him. Last time the vet came, Harley half dragged both of us across the lawn UNDER SEDATION when the vet tried to pull blood for coggins. Plus there is no need for anyone to say I need another horse and to sell him because he is a PHENOMENAL horse otherwise. Just not with the vet. Him and I are a perfect match. He just hates needles and hates the vet

Phly 06-06-2013 01:00 AM

Is it possible your horse IS a jerk? Or that your VET is a jerk?
Not to say either is, but there IS a reason this happens.
Please don't be defensive and angry about that^^.
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 06-06-2013 01:12 AM

Nose twitch him.....and if he's a jerk for that and dragging you all around while under sedation, making it unsafe for either yourself or the vet ask for a stronger sedative. Last resort I'd grab hold of his ear just so the vet can get his work done if he's that bad.....he needs to stay still for your safety and his own.

This is where I weigh it up, which is the lesser of the two evils? Getting trampled by a horse and not getting the necessary bloodwork done or twitching him either nose (preferable) or ear if he's a real twit for a minute or two while the blood is done?

AlexS 06-06-2013 01:15 AM

Chain over the nose, twitch, chain under the upper lip. Until the vet sedates enough. Being dragged is not ok, ever. Fight back.

calicokatt 06-06-2013 01:37 AM

Just out of curiosity, have you tried a different vet? (assuming there is another good one semi-locally) We have one horse who had a MAJOR injury and was treated by the best vet in the area several years ago. To this day, if that vet shows up to do ANYTHING the horse turns into a raving lunatic (though he doesn't drag anyone, just dances like a fool). I can give him shots and he doesn't flinch, but the vet approaches and its like he thinks he's going to die! The vet, of course, understands the situation and handles it very well, but it is beyond irritating! If your horse has been treated for something painful by that vet, it would be understandable (but not acceptable) for him to react badly to the vet's presence. Also, is there any chance that your vet is under-sedating?
A horse that's properly sedated really shouldn't be dragging you anywhere. I know that one of our horses (an arabian, incidentally) requires more sedative than our other (larger) horses. After finding this out the hard way, his dose has been slightly increased.

loveduffy 06-06-2013 01:40 AM

I was told by some vet that sometimes it is the smell of the vet try putting vicks rub in his nose before the vet get there

Joe4d 06-06-2013 08:02 AM

your horse doesnt respect you and needs ground work. This is basic holes in training and nothing to do with the vet. I teach my horses to stand. and when I say stand by god they better stand. I dont care if the barn is burning down around them.
See if you can get a copy of Julie Goodnights, "lead line leadership". teach and practice the "Stand like a statue."

Cherie 06-06-2013 12:42 PM

It is absolutely a lack of respect for the halter/lead-rope and the handler.

I have inherited (or bought) horses that went ballistic over a Vet or a shot or being dewormed or ???? I got all of them over it. I used a lip chain on some and 4-way hobbles on those that actually struck or attacked a Vet or handler, but they decided that the Vet or a shot was just not that big a deal.

I consider it a life or death matter that horses stand for doctoring or ???. It can be critical that a horse does not go into 'self-destruct mode' when a life-threatening accident or injury occurs.

Horseychick94 06-06-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2719826)
Is it possible your horse IS a jerk? Or that your VET is a jerk?
Not to say either is, but there IS a reason this happens.
Please don't be defensive and angry about that^^.
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL I am not dismissing the fact that the horse could be a jerk. His past is very suspicious and unknown so that could also be it as well