The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Draft Horses (
-   -   Flytes/Flights in Shire Manes? (

Diamond Sutcliff 06-06-2013 08:59 AM

Flytes/Flights in Shire Manes?
For ages I have seen pictures of Shires with these tab thingies in their manes. I believe these are called flights? Or flytes? I have a few questions about them.

Why do Shires have these in their manes?
What sort of shows do you need them for?
History of these tab thingies?

Thanks in advance!

QtrBel 06-06-2013 10:09 AM

They are used as decoration for all types of situations - we used them in hitch classes in shows on our Belgians. I always braided first and then put them in. They have wire ties that twist into the braid to hold it standing in place. As for braiding I am sure there are vids or books that can explain. I was taught by a fellow drafts person that had spent years in the show ring.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome