The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   New to Driving - Like hints, advice, ect... (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/new-driving-like-hints-advice-ect-207970/)

Kkmitch 06-06-2013 02:12 PM

New to Driving - Like hints, advice, ect...

I have a three 1/2 year old Shire/Percheron cross that I bought several months ago. My husband is new to horses completely but the men at our barn have convinced him he needs to drive "our" horse (yes, he suddenly belongs to both of us now). I have never driven before ever but they all assure me it's easy. Ha ha ha. The guys, though, had been fantastic. We have a full harness to use, offers to use carts, skids, tires to start with, ect... The full harness we've put on him several times and haven't had any real issues or trouble. I, naturally, have ended up doing to most ground driving. Since its large and awkward for me, I typically end up ground driving after my ride with my lunge lines through my stirrups. When my husband is available, we do the harness and in the next couple of weeks, we'll hook him up with a tire.
I would to get some hints, advice, and even what you all "do" with your driving horses.

Taffy Clayton 06-11-2013 07:03 PM

Well you are lucky, NC is driving country.
You can check out one of these clubs:

North Carolina

Carolina Carriage Club
P.O. Box 816
Tryon, NC 28782
Carolina Carriage Club
Ned Frybarger, 828-894-0632

Central Carolina Driving Club
301 N Fallsview Ln
Wake Forest, NC 27587
Connie Hussey, 919-556-1835, jhussey1@nc.rr.com

Moore County Driving Club
Box 282
Southern Pines, NC 28388
David Frump, 910-692-0943, davidf618@aol.com

It is good to get some help, hopefully a mentor or an instructor. A lot of clubs have clinics on teaching your horse to drive. You could advertise on craig's list for an instructor.
There is no such thing as too much ground driving, so you are off to a good start.
How about a photo of your boy?

Lets see how you are ground driving.
Get him used to contact and you need to get used to carrying a whip.

Kkmitch 06-13-2013 03:54 PM

I didn't even think about a club - duh! Thanks for your post. We'll get some pictures up this weekend. Right now, I'm just using the dressage whip and rarely need that for more than an occasional tape to get his attention back on me.