The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   My CT scan experience... (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/my-ct-scan-experience-20813/)

JustDressageIt 01-14-2009 12:28 AM

My CT scan experience...

A few of you have already heard this one.. but I thought I'd share... haha

Little quick note - I am terrified of needles, but with all my blood tests recently I've been getting better at the whole thing.

Anyways, on to my CT scan.. let's just say that everything that could have gone wrong, short of an allergic reaction and/or the machine blowing up, did.

I had to be there 2 hours in advance to drink 2 liters of iodine and water over a 2 hour period. That stuff is nasty. Ugh. Anyways, that was pleasant compared to what came.

They called me up at 3:30 to get my IV put in... so I lay down on the bed and some nervous-looking nurse comes up, and tries to get a vein up.
She dug around in the crook of my elbow for a few minutes (felt like hours!!) and then came back out, she couldn't find a vein.
Know that part about being terrified of needles? IV needles are bigger than most... and so they hurt when put in. Add digging around, and you've got a teary-eyed JDI on your hands!
Anyways, she tried the other arm.. didn't work.
The back of my left hand... didn't work.
They finally went in through near the base of my right thumb - before the nurse started, she said "now, I know the other areas aren't pleasant, but this is the most painful, so hang on." Oh man, was it ever... yuppers! She wasn't lying. But she got a vein and that was over. They took well over a half hour to find a vein.

So the worst was over... or so I thought...

The first CT went fine.. then the nurse went to inject dye into my IV... and FORGOT to unlock my IV!! So all the dye is held back... like when you crimp a hose - then when you release that pressure it shoots out with a really great force... yeah, it did that into my vein. I was bawling at this point (think of something being forced into your veins.. you get the picture... it HURT) but the rest of the CT went smoothly.

They had to keep me after to make sure I was okay to leave.

Well, my arms are so bruised today that wearing long-sleeved shirts hurt!! I can run my finger up the vein that was shot into and can feel it bruised from my wrist (where they injected) to my elbow.

So.. not a pleasant experience.

Anyone else had a CT? Was it a painful experience? I really hope I don't have to go back... :(

Joshie 01-14-2009 12:59 AM

Yep. Have had them. MRIs too. My daughter has had tons of CTs. The most common oral contrast agent is barium. Tasty! Sometimes they give gastrografin which can be bitter.

The next time they start an IV ask them to use a butterfly. An IV catheter is often smaller than the catheter used to take blood. Never allow any one person to try to stick you more than twice. If they miss they get one more shot. Then they get someone else! Two tries is all that I ever allow. If you're a hard stick ask them why. Do your veins roll? You can help that. Drink tons before an IV or blood draw. That can help plump up those veins.

How long will it be before you get your test results?

wanderlust 01-14-2009 01:01 AM

aww JDI, I'm sorry that was such a horrible experience. I hope all turns out well.

JustDressageIt 01-14-2009 01:43 AM

Joshie, thanks.. I will keep that in mind.. there were 3 nurses by the end. Gah.

free_sprtd 01-14-2009 02:40 AM

oh no!! the picture you drew made me nauseaous and scared of needles too :( you poor thing. hopefully you're able to rest and take it easy. let us know how the results turn out :(

(((CYBER HUGS)) <<<<SO NOT TO TOUCH YOUR BRUSIES :(

Angel_Leaguer 01-14-2009 08:25 AM

Sorry to hear you had a hard time JDI,

My BF just had a CT scan done and didnt have anything like you had. The also gave his drink in a water mixture so it wasnt too bad for him to drink.

Best of luck with your results

RusticWildFire 01-14-2009 01:06 PM

Ooh wow JDI that really stinks! I'm sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully thats the end of it!

TaMMa89 01-14-2009 01:41 PM

Aww I'm sorry for hearing that :-|. Sounds horrible.

JustDressageIt 01-14-2009 07:59 PM

Well, my doctor has the results already, so I'm going in tomorrow morning to discuss them... gah.

RusticWildFire 01-14-2009 08:05 PM

Ooh wow. Good Luck! I hope everything goes well.