The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   what is Black as Night? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-black-night-20857/)

Juniper 01-14-2009 09:46 PM

what is Black as Night?

How is it possible that something eaten can keep a horse's coat black? My daughter has a black horse and does not want to keep a fly sheet on him. He wears a blanket in the winter and she just feels he probably likes having nothing on in the summer. He really is so pretty in the winter I would like to do something to keep him black and shiny in the summer. Could Black as Night be harmful in any way? Do picky eaters like it? Thanks

MINIATURE SHETLANDS 01-14-2009 10:10 PM

Juniper, I have been feeding Black as Knight for as long as I can remember. I don't feed it all year because I show and do not want a false positive on the drug test. I feed it for about 4 months in the winter/spring as they are shedding, and it works great. I have not had any problems with anyone eating it, but I do introduce it slowly, and I have not had any "problems/side affects" from using it. Please remember that this is not a cure for horses bleaching out, especially if the horse is out in the sun all the time, but it will help. On the down side it can be pricey. I usually pick mine up at Quarter Horse Congress or Equine Affair, saves on shipping and usually can get it cheeper.

Juniper 01-15-2009 01:53 PM

I think I will give it a try this spring. I will have to get it online. Has anyone figured out the cheapest source online? I give our horses flax meal for coats and hooves. I wonder if I should discontinue that so as to not over supplement? Thank you

MINIATURE SHETLANDS 01-15-2009 09:59 PM

You can keep using flax meal, it should not cause any issues. The cheepest place I have found it is Big Dee's and Jeffers. Watch both of these for when it comes on sale, usually around Febuary or March.

Juniper 01-17-2009 09:15 PM

Thanks much. Never used those web sights before, will watch for a sale.

SuspiciousInnocence 01-18-2009 12:23 AM

Paprika.

Pretty sure its a main ingredient in black as night??

Buh yea.. Feed paprika to enhance his blackness

=]