The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (
-   -   what is Black as Night? (

Juniper 01-14-2009 09:46 PM

what is Black as Night?
How is it possible that something eaten can keep a horse's coat black? My daughter has a black horse and does not want to keep a fly sheet on him. He wears a blanket in the winter and she just feels he probably likes having nothing on in the summer. He really is so pretty in the winter I would like to do something to keep him black and shiny in the summer. Could Black as Night be harmful in any way? Do picky eaters like it? Thanks

Juniper, I have been feeding Black as Knight for as long as I can remember. I don't feed it all year because I show and do not want a false positive on the drug test. I feed it for about 4 months in the winter/spring as they are shedding, and it works great. I have not had any problems with anyone eating it, but I do introduce it slowly, and I have not had any "problems/side affects" from using it. Please remember that this is not a cure for horses bleaching out, especially if the horse is out in the sun all the time, but it will help. On the down side it can be pricey. I usually pick mine up at Quarter Horse Congress or Equine Affair, saves on shipping and usually can get it cheeper.

Juniper 01-15-2009 01:53 PM

I think I will give it a try this spring. I will have to get it online. Has anyone figured out the cheapest source online? I give our horses flax meal for coats and hooves. I wonder if I should discontinue that so as to not over supplement? Thank you

You can keep using flax meal, it should not cause any issues. The cheepest place I have found it is Big Dee's and Jeffers. Watch both of these for when it comes on sale, usually around Febuary or March.

Juniper 01-17-2009 09:15 PM

Thanks much. Never used those web sights before, will watch for a sale.

SuspiciousInnocence 01-18-2009 12:23 AM

Pretty sure its a main ingredient in black as night??

Buh yea.. Feed paprika to enhance his blackness